Tony Kanal.....d*mn!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Viktor, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    I just got No Doubt's first album "No Doubt",and I gotta say Tony Kanal lays down some f****g good grooves(Let's get back,Doormat,Big city train,...)I was suprised:he slaps like hell(pops too) & than he does the funnyest funky grooves.But the main thing why I opened this thread is his!He combined hm......I think wah with distorsion,but he still has this full tone,it's amazing....HE'S PLAYING IS AMAZING!It's too bad that they don't play ska/funk anymore...couse I think his talent is being waisted playing pop music!
  2. I don't really like No Doubt...

I like there "Don't Speak" Song though...

the new what it is....crap(IMO:oops:)

Have fun with the CD:)
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've never gotten in to No Doubt. I've heard the radio stuff and knew Tony was a good player. Just recently I had to learn 2 No Doubt tunes for an audition (AGAIN... the band broke up before my audition :mad: ). "Just a Girl" and "Hella Good". the first was a lot busier then I had first thought... great line. "Hella Good" is just plain fun to play!
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tony did a very common good (rock/pop/whatever) bassist trick. First album, he really tears it up to prove he's got the stuff, then, he started to mellow out and sound better. Don't believe this is common?

Check out Incubus' first album, RHCP's earlier stuff, I know there are a few more bassists who did this. But note: These guys use to slap and pop like crazy, then gave it up, except for the rare occasion where it really fit the song like a glove, then did it. But these fellas got more respect when they showed they weren't one trick ponies.
  5. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    You should listen to he's(No Doubt's)older stuff.Songs like Different people,You can do it;Tolal hate,That's just me,& so on,....Not enough bassist know his and I think that's a loss for them couse he is a master at grooving!
    About the mellowing down thing...Well both Flea & Tony showed what they can do on their frst few albums.....and then they did stuff like Flea:By the way & Californication,Tony:Return of Saturn!And I totaly agree with you...they got my respect by showing that it's about the feel & the music,and not about fitness & showing off!
  6. Yeah, he is one of my top 3 favourites for sure. They're older stuff (the self titled album) is probably his best well known work.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly, it's take a lot to play 'chops heavy' ALL the time! It can literally wear you out! You pretty much have to mellow out and as you get older, your tastes in listening and playing change too! Tony Kanal is a badass though! As for their newer music, hey you gota do what you gotta do to make it in the business these days. Ska for masses is played out! Not a money maker for the labels.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    We best get some people on the phone and get them to ease up....

I'll call Geddy Lee, Dave Holland, Stanley Clarke, Mark King, Pino...

You start ringin a few too, OK....

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Tony Kanal is a very tasteful bassist. I love the basslines on Simple Kind of Life.
  10. Ditto. I can't help but like "Don't Speak" as well. But shhh... don't tell my friend I said that... I try to keep it a secret...

They're new stuff I can care less for...
  11. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Hey I think I know one dude who won't mellow down!
    LES CLAYPOOL!!!!?(and he shoulden't!)
    What do you think about that?
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Okay, so there may be some exceptions to the rule but on the average, I'd say most folks mellow with age. But hey, whatever!
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You honestly think they're doing the same thing they were doing 20 years ago? Playing as much? Touring as much? Recording as much? Shredding as much?
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    No, hopefully there will be growth over 20 years.

Age & Time is irrelavent. Bad technique and lack of personal up keep (fitness, discipline, general health) will cause some to fade.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think when you start out, you're full of ideas and eager to try them out, so you feel like pulling every trick in the book every chance you get. As you become more experient, you learn to say the same things with less words, so to speak.

Moreover, musicians in a band that tours and gigs every day for a long time can't afford to risk unnecessary injuries, which are compounded over time.

I think this is one of the reasons Flea's playing more simply now.

Haven't heard enough Tony yet, but I'll keep an ear out for him.
  16. I truly dislike No Doubt. However, before I get stoned (read as: have rocks thrown at me) to death for saying that I must elaborate. I reaallly don't like them. I did however read an interview with him in bass player magazine, and decided to check him out. It turns out that whatever my opinion is about their songs as a whole, Tony does play tasteful groovy lines throughout. He has an interesting and bouyant style that keeps the songs well grounded and fun. He also plays synth, so you have to be careful in determining which lines are which.
  17. ...oh, and as far as bassists chilling over the years, it is true to an extent. Listen to anyone when they first break out. Rawness and energy underlie their playing, but as many go on and learn more and more about their craft, the exploratory pyrotechnic style lays back some and they play more for the song than for their display of skills, they become more choosey about when to play full tilt. With others, the skill grows with the craft, but the choices the make when displaying their technical prowess are more solid as time goes on. Then there is Victor Wooten.
  18. I remember being in the living room watching a No DOubt video 6 years ago when I suddenly said out of nothing "Dad, I want an electric bass for my birthday"..
    :cool: I'm glad I did..

Well.. The man does his job pretty well.. His grooves are very tasty.
  19. Awesome. Everyones music is not for everyone else. It is important to be open to other styles and players, even if they aren't personal favorites. I didn't like my teachers either, but look where they got me:bassist: