Tony kanal (No doubt)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    How amazing is this guy? , he can play such wicked basslines of various styles from ska , punk , reggae , funk , rock etc etc I cant think of anything bad to say about him. He is as technical and talented as Flea who is sometimes overated although I know he is also great. Along with Norwood Fisher (Fishbone) , Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie) , John Taylor (When he was in Duran Duran) and Paul S Denman (Sade) Tony Kanal is one of the most overlooked bass players , all the others I mentioned are never mentined in these forums either. Any other fans of Tony Kanal? or even the other bass players I mentioned?
  2. I agree, I'm a fan of Tony. He was on the cover of my first BP mag. I love playing his stuff. Where's No Doubt. I haven't heard anything from them since I saw them in concert last summer.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yes i agree he is a badd boy! But there is alot of great bass players like him that get over looked! Like the guy from big head todd and the monsters! And spin doctors!
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s really cool. I´m not a No Doubt fan, but I still like their music..
  5. I think Tony is great! I have 2 No Doubt CDs and I think his bass lines are pretty cool. He has a little influence over how I play.
  6. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    also Lonnie Marshall from weapon of choice,he's from LA like norwood,flea & tony.yes Tony's bad as
    hell,bet you didn't know his main influence was prince,who's also bad as stank on the bass.listen to
    "let's work".
  7. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Yeah thats right Starr , Prince is a major inflence of his althogh Prince is not really thought as bassist. Prince was on the cover of Bass player once. Prince is a ****ing genius he plays practically every instrument , he does not get enough respect. A lot of the bassists that get mentioned on this forum cannot even even come close to his skill.
  8. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    moonraker you're so right 3/4 of these guy's can't even carry his mascara kit,including me.again have you guy's listened to let's work.okay now play it if you doubt me get it doubt,lol.
    prince smokes.tony smokes hell starr smokes 2.
  9. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Do any of you guys own the 'Simple kind of life' single? If you do , any of you know what effect Tony is using on the B side 'Under construction'. It sounds kind of 'flanger-y' but I'm not sue
  10. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    NORWOOD FISHER. is the best bassist on the planet, for my money, anyone who has not seen a fishbone show should check em out asap.
  11. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Iam a fan of tony, hes awesome. He keeps it simple compared to alot of bassist nowadays. I love his style.
  12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Tony is good! But not near as good as John Taylor or prince! John taylor is a awsome bass player! I caught there show in st.louis back in the 80s! Yes iam old! And got to set about 3 rows in front of john! The was he rolls from slap to finger style is amazing! He is so smooth about it! And yes the dude from big head todd is awsome as well!
  13. what kind of bass does he play?
  14. I like Tony fine but I have to question any man's intelligence that would drop Gwen Stefani ;)
  15. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    being a young man I was always wondering about that too. But I hope this doesnt turn into a Gwen thing like everything else no-doubt related. He uses a Musicman 5, and a bunch of Yamahas.
  16. I think he's a great player but there new song "Hey Baby" sucks. He plays like one note during the entire song, the rest is just a buncha key boards and computer noises. I dont see the difference between them and any other pop groups like n'sync or Brittany Spears any more.
  17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    I agree! the new song sucks butt cheese!
  18. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    He's a fine player, though the new single has nothing bass-wise interesting, IMO. I liked the couple singles from the "Saturn" disc, though.
  19. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    the line on the Spiderwebs song from the tagic kingdom, i liked that, some stuff is pretty good, although i am just waiting for guest appearnace from RZA what with this new 'direction' the band seems to have taken,
  20. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    BLASPHEMY! the new album is what we call Dancehall and it is basically Jamaican "dance-reggae".... in fact, the new album has more in common with their ska roots than Return of Saturn did.... they started in the ska/punk/reggae scene but then started to get a little poprocky with RoS... i think the fact that they completely turned around and pulled out a dancehall record is really cool because they DIDN'T get poppier, they went back to their roots in jamaican music

*last 2 paragraphs edited by Cassanova to prevent the usual "Who cares who writes the music", "They suck because they dont play thier own instruments and write their own songs", and "pop is real music" type agrivation that comes with statments like that*