1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Kanal of No Doubt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gonzilla, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Even when the music got bad, he was still great. AAA work all around.

Spiderwebs
    Excuse Me, Mr.
    Sunday Morning
    Hella Good
    It's My Life (great cover)
    Underneath It All

On another note, Don't Speak is one of the best rock compositions of the 90s, easily.

2. I always liked his feel.

3. checkered

checkered

Mar 19, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    I've always liked his playing. He was cool too the couple of times that I met him.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I always loved Kanal's work. When I took my daughter to see No Doubt, they were just great, and Kanal's Yamaha bass was thundering.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Did the music ever get bad?:confused:

I am a big No Doubt fan and Tony is a big reason why. He is a one of the better pop/rock bassists I can think of. His basslines are always interesting without taking away from the song. In fact, sometimes they make the song (see Underneath It All, Sixteen, Sunday Morning, etc.).

In an age where Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus both have signature bass models, Tony is definitely underappreciated for his contribution to popular music IMO.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The guy just grooves. We cover Hella Good. It looks really simple but I have yet to make it groove like he does and thats a problem.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Tony Kanal is definitely a top notch bassist. My old band covered "Don't Speak" and there was a lot more going on in the bass department than I remembered from just casually listening to it.

Anybody know of projects he worked on between the end of No Doubt and their current reunion tour?

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    For shame! Some of Tony's best work was his earliest...even though he was a Flea worshipper.

- Get to about 1:15 for a solo slap thang. Crap quality 'cause it's just some bro with a camcorder on the beach, but still...

I'm very happy to see how Tony has evolved over the years, and can't wait for the ND new work.

9. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Found another:

10. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I am a big fan of Tony Kanal. I have seen No Doubt twice, during Tragic Kingdom in a large venue and after Return of Saturn in a medium size venue. The bass is pretty powerful in the live mix, as stated earlier, "thundering" would be an accurate description. I started with bass and guitar when I was listening to No Doubt quite a bit when Tragic Kingdom was released. I am pretty sure Tony is the model I subconsciously follow with bass. I definitely agree about Don't Speak being a great song. The music never got bad, it just evolved and, like most musical evolutions, left some fans behind. While I prefer Tragic Kingdom (probably childhood nostalgia), I like a lot of the newer stuff as well.

11. drudonit

drudonit

Jan 30, 2009
    MI
    he's one of my favorites, i'm going to see No Doubt this summer, i'm mainly going to see Beduoin soundclash opening for them but Tony Kanel is still one of the best bass players around today.

12. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's great to see Gwen Stefani pushing CDs!! How things change! Tony rocks on this song. Thanks for the link.

13. secombs

secombs

Oct 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm glad other people recognize Tony as the great bassist he is. He's one of my earliest influences and I often credit seeing that video of don't speak on mtv as the reason I wanted to play bass in the first place.

His lines are in the pocket, full of energy, and always interesting.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Tony rocks, "Don't Speak" was one of the first songs I ever tried to play on bass and I just couldn't pull it off, all those intricate runs in the lower register were way too much for my fretting hand. I love the reggae-ish feel he brings to lots of their songs, the man is a groove monster!

15. i think this guy is pretty underrated !! i love his playing, he is a real artist!

i loved his playing since i first heard ND, don't speak it was.

i love his tone in "Hella Good"....

my favourite is still Don't speak........ it's my life too!

ever since i saw him, i wanted so badly a BB series..

16. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Concur...which is why I got one!

paul_Winstons_12_16_05.

BB2000 - Craigslist score for $230. My favorite bass ever. MONSTER tone for days....er...I mean they suck and everybody that has one tucked under their bed should send them to me.

Brother Goose likes this.
  17. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    ...and...since people will ask, that's another bassist's rig behind me. Mine was off to the right, and at the time was a Mesa 400+ into a Berg NV610, and yes, that's my Phase 90 and my Boss V-Wah. The shoes are sketchers, and Boone, who died on that show 'Lost' wore that Lucky Brand 'Four Aces' shirt...I had it before he did, though.

And, I do smile onstage, just not right then. I was probably in the middle of a song called, "Lick my balls, Merry Christmas." (true story.)

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I just watched some footage of No Doubt today. Tony is a pretty awesome player. And to be able to hop around and thrash all over the stage and still keep the groove going is mighty impressive. He and Tom Dumont had a very good sonic seperation. One isn't louder than the other. You can hear both equally and they don't step on each other's toes. Good stuff.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Great player, awesome tone ! :bassist: