Tony Kanal of No Doubt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jan 1, 2001.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Been listening to a little No Doubt lately - you just gotta dig Tony's style. I really enjoy listening to him because of how "tasteful" he is of the melody and making his parts match the song structure. You also gotta dig how he is unpredictable - it's never the same thing from him, always something different such as choose a walking pattern here or a little slap/pop combo there.

What are you people's opinions of Tony? Anyone else inspired by him?
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My daughter's first concert was No Doubt, and I hear a lot of them in the house. I think they are a great band, with a nicely varied range of influences. Tony Kanal has a great feel for the bass (I sometimes hear a lot of Tony Levin coming through), and I think this band is going to be around for quite a while. They have a very distinctive sound (kind of a mix of metal/ska/pop/????) that really comes out as their own. They also seem to know how to manage their personal situations (umm....Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal's relationship) within the band context.
  3. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think he's great. "Don't Speak" was one of the first tunes I learned. Hated to hear him go to a fiver JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE though (sorry). I definitely prefer his earlier, less "contemporary" (backwards baseball cap sounding) stuff. He seems like a pretty level-headed guy too.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not really sure how much of a fan of NO Doubt's I am but I do love alot of Gwen Stefani's stuff. Tony Kanals not bad, not great but as a band there really talented. although they some how remind me of Blondie. I'm not sure why. Mabye thats just Gwen. hmmmmmmmmmmm.........?
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m not a No Doubt fan, but he is really cool, good basslines and stuff
  6. Same here. Not really a fan, but his basslines really mesh with the songs very well. And Gwen is hot:D
  7. Tony has admitted numerous times to being heavily influenced by Simon Gallup of The Cure, who I believe is probably one of the most overlooked bass players of all time.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As far as Pop goes, I like him. He grooves & he's pretty tasteful.
    I stumbled onto VH-1's feature on No Doubt; man, that band was like a 9-piece back in their early days. Gwen's brother "ran" the band on keys, they had a 3-piece horn section, & a MALE lead singer/frontman(RIP)that was "the show".
    I'd like to hear Kanal in different settings, though, to hear what else he's about...time will tell, perhaps.

9. Not a fan of No Doubt ,but I listen just to hear Tony play the bass(my girls are into the group).I especially love the deep resonant sounds he gets on Simple Kind of Life.Killer!!
    Read an article on him in one of the bass mags several months ago...struck me as a really well rounded down to earth individual.

10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Sorry to go off on a bit of tangent, but Tony Kanal is one of the reasons why I picked up the bass. A few years ago, my then girlfriend told me that she secretly fancied Tony, and in a fit of 14 year old jealously, I swore then and there that I too would become proficient at the bass. And then told her that I secretly fancied her sister.
  11. I thought his past article in BP was great,plus I saw the VH-1 behind the scenes and story telling thingie.Tony is a tasteful bassist;he's concerned with what's best for the song,you gotta respect that.I can't get "Ex-Girlfriend" out of my head.I love the progression they use in the song.No Doubt has a distinct style coupled with a certain amount of variety,it keeps their sound from being stale and not too premeditated. Return of Saturn is a really good album.
  12. Sounds like a transcript from Jerry Springer.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Tony Envy"?

...VH-1 also mentioned that Madness("One Step Beyond", "Our House")was a big influence on No Doubt; IMO, the show kinda inferred that Madness "started" Ska(called a "souped-up form of Reggae" by VH-1). Uh, hasn't Ska been around since about the '50s?
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Madness were part of a Ska revival, that happened in the UK in the early 80s and was sometimes referred to as "Black and White" - after the record label that the Specials started. But this also refers to bands which had white and black members. There is also the mix of the "black" music - ska from the 50s and 60s Jamaica, as JimK mentions and the recent "Punk" phenomenon. So in the early 80s in the UK, you had bands who were taking old Ska tunes and "energising" them with a punk take, as well as writing new opriginal tunes in the same vein.

I went to several gigs by the Specials, Selecter etc - although never Madness - who were more "mainstream" and "poppy" rather than punk. While the Specials were friends with Madness and got them started, they were much more political than Madness who seemed to treat everything light-heartedly. So while Madness songs are closer to the english music hall comedy tradition, the Specials were writing songs about Urban Decay (GhostTown) and later world politics "Free Nelson Mandela".

If anybody can be said to have started the ska revival in the UK, it must be Jerry Dammers of the Specials and a lot of their music still stands up today as well worth listening to, whereas although Madness were more popular at the time, the jokes wear a bit thin after time IMO.

If we're talking bass playing as well - Horace Panter of the Specials played some really great stuff and is again IMO the best Ska revival bass player of the period. His bass playing is incredibly energetic, but always true to the Ska feel from Jamaica, which is something that both Madness (I don't even know the name of their bass player!)and more recent bands like No Doubt have lost completely, for the sake of the 'pop idiom'.
    It's so great to have a person who really likes ska, not the popped up orange county stuff, and hasn't stopped just because it's not cool anymore. Horace is a great bass player. But Dave from Hepcat is damn awesome too, he's got such a smooooth thumping sound. Anna Meyers-Smith formerly of the Pilfers is amazing too, she's probably one of the best female bassists and definately one of the most overlooked.
    Tony seems pretty grounded guy, considering he lived through the hell of having his ex-girlfriend dump all her anger on him in front of millions. Not much of a No Doubt fan, they're not really much more than the new New Wave, not a bad band, just not my taste in music.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    yawnsie -

That sister thing is the smoothest move I've heard about since Desert Storm. You definitely have potential.
  17. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Bad touch, BAD TOUCH! :D That sucks . . . yes Ska predates reggae by about a decade. And Desmond Dekker is generally credited with having "invented" ska, though it is more likely that he was the first to bring it to American & Eurpoean ears.

Can definitely hear the Madness influence in No Doubt, but I lost all respect for Gwen Stefani when I learned she was going out with that wanker from Bush. <shudder>
  18. PINK HAIR!!!! SWEEEET!!!

need i say more, haha, i dig ska and stuff, havent listened to much no doubt but because of you crazy antelopes i'm gonna have to swipe my 11 year old bros no doubt c.d.s for a listen!
  19. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Nice one Munji! It's always nice to get the approval of someone with posts into four figures.
  20. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Can't say whether I really dig Tony. But as for that I REALLY dig!!!