Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Kanal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Does anyone here like Tony Kanal??? He's one of my favorite bass players because he is so original. Also he has good hard bass lines. He's one of the reasons I started playing electric bass because he's so good at it. (The other reason I started playing electric bass is because I play double bass.)

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    He's definitely a big influence on me: I really like his lines and his note/chord choices. It seems to me that he has a really good concept of how to make a bass line fit with a song and how to be original and inventive instead of doing the same old stuff that a lot of bassists are doing.

3. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Tony Kanal? He's one bad mother ****er on the bass!

4. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Yep, I dig him too.

Saw them live on TV once, he rocked!
    Weird band except for him really, all dressed up, the drummer was dressed in string underwear..... only..... very weird. Drummers are strange!

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    From what I've heard of him, he's not too technical but very creative and therefore interesting. I give him a thumbs up.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s really cool, I read in the BP interview that he was in a jazz band in high school:)

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    huh, it's funny you brought the technical issue up.
    I noticed that a lot of technical players tend to overplay and not fit pretty well in a band context unless they are in the center of the band.

maybe we need to start a new thread on what kinds of players TBers prefer..."are you a Victor Wooten type or a Sting?".

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing his playing. I am complementing him for the reasons you bring up. I'm sure he's much better "technically" than his recorded stuff lets on. I think he looks at a bass line in a unique way, and it comes off well. I don't "prefer" anyone over anyone else. I like to hear different ways of playing. It helps me develop ideas.

I hope I didn't offend you.

9. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Tony Kanal does not get enough credit as a bass player , all I hear about is Flea and Fieldy ( who most of you guys hate) I like Tony's bass playing style better than Flea's because his playing does sound a lot more technical and creative. I'm not saying Flea is unoriginal but his sound can be heard by the pioneers e.g - Larry Graham , Bootsy Collins etc etc.

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    yeh, I rewrote that one a few times and still it looks like I'm offended, well anyway, I'm not.
    I didn't think you were offending me or bashing his playing, I just said that being a technical player doesn't seem to be all that good when I look at band context bassists, it just doesn't get that much credit with a band as opposed to solo playing.

but thats just me :D

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Tony fits in to No Doubt very well. He also co writes the songs , after Gwen he is probably
    the second most important and prolific. **** it , their all good musicians and equally important
    but the singer wil alwaysl usually get the most attention whether they write the lyrics or not.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey, Tony(what a coincidence!) plays those "pimped-up" basses, Yamaha BB3000s, how could you possibly be cooler!

I'd love to lay my hands on one of those beautys.