Tony Kanal's Tragic Kingdom's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nancy-Boy, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Hiya ppl..Enjoyin this site lots..:D great one..neway

I was Wonderin if anyone can help me out on this one.Tony Kanel in my opinion is one of the most underated bassist in the 90's his sound and his technique are well above the other waggling thumbs of many Ska bands. I was just wonderin if anyone could tell me what the bass is that he is holdin lovingly int he Cd inlays in the Tragic Kingdom album, its prolly very obvious tho ive looked at the pics and nowhere can isee a name...i read somewhere that he has a go at buildin bass's this one of them..??..any help would be grand..cheers my fellow Waggling Thumbies...:cool:
  2. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    At the time, his main bass was a Yamaha BB2200 that he had since forever. Don't know if that is the one in the photo (I don't have Tragic Kingdom):D
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah its the yamaha.. he has a bunch of them.. he also plays on a Stingray 5
  4. bass_99

Dec 17, 2006
    Is the Yamaha bb2200 worth buying? for $400.00 Canadian?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I remember reading a few years back he got a few of the Yamaha's in Japan.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Most Yamaha basses are worth buying. They are very under-rated.
  7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yamaha's & Tony Kanal ARE both underrated. My wife and I were out to eat this evening and "Underneath It All" was playing in the restaurant and I was trying to explain to her why that bassline is so good (like so many of Tony's are), because it is fairly simple, but doesn't just ride the root and has very rhythmic rests. It kind of gives life to what COULD be a very boring song if it weren't executed so well, and by the whole band, not just Tony. Tragic Kingdom is still one of my favorite albums for pop bass.

On the bass itself, you obviously like the way the Yamaha sounds when Tony plays it, so you should at least try it for the money if you are after a similar sound. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but anywhere there is a 5 string on a No Doubt album, including TK, its a 'Ray 5. I think he only uses the Ray 5 on Just a Girl on TK, but it may be in one or two more spots that I can't remember at the moment. He uses the 5 a lot more on their later albums though, but still uses the Yammy for his 4-banger.
  8. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Anyone with any experience with the current Yamaha release BB424X? How does the tone/feel/playability compare to Tony's now discontinued BB2200?
  9. Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    BB2000, not 2200
  10. Double Agent, you must have one hell of a wife to let you go into that much detail about a bass line without cutting you off or simply falling asleep face down in her dish. Man, one day maybe I'll meet my dream gal who'll do the same.
  11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I saw No Doubt, but because I wanted to see/hear Soul Coughing who opened for them. Both were very engaging/entertaining but I dug Soul Coughing more.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  12. Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure he favored the BB1600 basses.
  13. Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Endorsed by Lefay basses Notable Members Current Visitors Recent Activity New Profile Posts Rules/FAQ Giveaways
    I bought a BB3000 after playig a BB1000MA for many many years. The 3000 felt great. But I liked the sound of the bolt on 1000MA more so I changed to that cheapo again
    and I am so happy with it!
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

It is by all standards a great bass. There's a Yamaha BB club thread you should check in on for more information. I have a BB415, the five-string version of the model that preceded the 424x. Great bass.
  15. NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    "Underneath it all" Sly and Robbie from Gwen's solo album?
  16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Quoted twice in a zombie thread.

Sly & Robbie were producers on the track, but I couldn't tell you if they played on it or not. My post was 8 years ago, so it's possible that more info has come out since then about who played on the song. It definitely sounds like Kinal to me, it has the bite that most of bass tracks seem to have. Either way, it's a brilliantly crafted line. Tony certainly has written enough other bass lines that one could point to as evidence of his abilities even if he didn't play on that one.