Tony Levin’s Pedalboard: What’s He Using?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by s_wood, Jul 7, 2019.

1. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Here’s a pic from Tony Levin’s website, taken by Tony himself at a King Crimson show in Italy earlier this month. I’ve cropped it to zoom in on his pedalboard. Talkbass experts - what’s he using (I only recognize the EH Memoryman and a DG box)?

10B151E6-2F0D-4604-9512-37A3390FEA1D.jpeg

KaizerRainMan and Maxime1980 like this.
  2. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I see an EHX Grand Canyon bottom left.

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    X7 and a B7K Ultra left of the volume pedal. Origin Effects CB compressor above that.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I agree with the above answers.

The volume pedal is an Ernie Ball. Top right is a Peterson strobe tuner. The big black one with yellow knobs is a current-generation Markbass Compressore.

5. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    2 compressors? The black box with the yellow knobs in he middle of the top row is a Markbass Compressore. And what’s he using for an octave box?

lowplaces likes this.
  6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Google the pedals, you'll see that's definitely what they are (although I'm not 100% sure that's the Compact Bass, it might be one of their other compressors, but it's definitely an Origin Effects compressor). Two compressors isn't terribly uncommon. The Markbass is a tube "tone magic" type of compressor. The small box Origin Effects compressors might be a bit more transparent? I'm not sure. Could also be for two different sounds, or perhaps different points in the chain.

extreme and lowplaces like this.
  7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Kind of looks like they're back-to-back, though.

extreme likes this.
  8. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Could be using one as a boost. Or one set as a limiter ?

9. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Plus, TL is famous for using two compressors in series (or more?) at the same time.

Edit: see below post for more

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    petrus61, extreme and lowplaces like this.
  10. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    see above post.

It's pretty well documented for his work with King Crimson, and especially for Peter Gabriel or that one Pink Floyd album.

the dual comp sound doesn't seem to be associated with his paul simon stuff, or even earlier with, say, Chuck Mangione (where he uses a p bass!)

petrus61 and lowplaces like this.
  11. Strobo Tuner

Ernie Ball VP

Origin Effects Compact Bass (possibly) with the three bottom knobs removed

Markbass Compressore

Darkglass X7, Darkglass B7K and Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra (green tape over the eq sliders)

EHX Memory Man and Grand Canyon

Radial Mix Blender

12. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Tony has always used compressors and it's definitely a big part of his sound. I will guess that the Cali is being used as a limiter to keep initial transients in check and the Markbass is being used for tone/sustain.

lowplaces and GentProvocateur like this.
  13. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Good catch on the DG AOU, the tape threw me but you're right and I definitely see it now. Radial Mix Blender I couldn't have gotten off the top of my head, but again I think you're right.
    [​IMG]

Let's go home!

vivaknoxvegas and design like this.
  14. I've spent too much time on the Radial site it seems :D

Luigir and lowplaces like this.
  15. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    But no octave box? I saw them last tour and there’s no doubt he was still using one...

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    There are probably 3-4 pedals that aren't in the pic, to the right of the Peterson and volume pedal. Last year the octaver was just right of the VP. It was a 3Leaf Octabvre.

s_wood likes this.
  17. Origin_Effects

Origin_Effects Commercial User

Feb 12, 2018
    Oxfordshire, UK
    British Boutique Effects Pedal Builders
    Hi, guys.

I can confirm that Tony is using the Cali76 Compact Bass model. He has owned it for over two years now. I recall that he said he liked using it with the Chapman Stick.

OE

Fuzzbass, Ryan L., Pauly 4001 and 7 others like this.
  18. Wait...no HPF? Is he MAD?

:laugh:

Indiedog, eriky4003, Iristone and 8 others like this.
  19. He does have an octave, shown in this pic.

Tony on his current rig...

"I keep tweaking the setup for Crimson’s tours, but basically it’s this: the bass goes through whichever footpedals I use on a piece, then the signal’s split, half going through a Kemper amp profiler. The dry part of the signal can stay dry, to be mixed with the amped sound, or, with a volume pedal I can feed any amount of it into another Kemper, with various distorted amp sounds. So, simply put, it’s variably bi-amped. (Whew, thanks for reading through all of that!"

stuttgart2bsndch3myrig-w1740.jpg

Indiedog, Fuzzbass, crguti and 11 others like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yes indeed. There’s many applications where you’d want or need to use two compressors.

Fuzzbass and lowplaces like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021