Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin and Yes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I heard that Tony Levin was in Yes? For what albums, and during what years was he in Yes? Thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well didn't he do something with Yes?

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    He played on "Union" (1991) and toured with Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe.

Still my favorite bassist though. ;)

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    He was on "Anderson,Bruford,Wakeman&Howe".

6. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    he was in king crimson with fripp, bruford and belew as well

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Which is pretty much Yes save for Squier, who owned the rights to the Yes name.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I shouldn't have said "you heard wrong" I should have said who told you that was wrong. There were those few songs on the "Union" album I guess that counts. Also, he did tour with ABWH but I'm not sure that counts as "Yes".

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I love Tony Levin and Chris Squire the same. I'd love to hear them both in a band, T.Lev on the Stick and C.Squire on the sexy Ric!!!!

10. :scowl:

It's not yes without Squire.

11. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

yeah he would have been on the Yes live release "An Evening of Yes Music Plus" but he got sick so Jeff Berlin is on the recording. I believe this was from the ABWH tour since they did a bunch of those tunes and all the classic Yes tunes. I actually think Jeff Berlin sounds closer to Chris Squire than Tony on the Yes tunes.

12. Tony Levin definitely added a different "flair" to ABWH. It sounded very similar to Yes but his bass playing and tone was the only non-Yes element of the recording. Actually I kinda like the album just for the arrangements.

And I agree, Jeff Berlin had a more Squire feel on the Yes music live CD.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Thanks for that, I've read a few interviews with Berlin where he talks about playing with Yes, and, being a huge Squire fan, I have been very confused about it.

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I saw the Houston show ABWH played. That was the night Tony got sick. I had a hunch something was wrong as he was sitting down most of the night (he got up and moved around for Heart of the Sunrise though.) And apparently, right after the show ended, he finally collapsed as he went backstage and they rushed him to the hospital.

On the Union album, it's a little odd hearing Tony play bass on I Would Have Waited Forever while hearing Chris Squire sing! (that song was already done, but they went back and added Chris Squire singing background vocals to "unionize" it up.) That whole album, with the exception of a couple songs, is kinda weird and uneven (and obviously a marketing ploy.) I love how Rick Wakeman refers to it as "Onion" because he says the thought of it makes him cry. ;)

15. jonsmith

jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    Interesting viewpoints. I saw Tony with AWBH in Edinburgh and thought he did a pretty good job playing & soundwise. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the video with Jeff Berlin. I thought the end result was further away from Squire's bass playing (and sound), despite the stranger techniques Tony Levin had employed while playing.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm gonna have to check out the Jeff Berlin thing sometime/somewhere again. I've only seen it once and that was when I was watching it live on pay-per-view 500 years ago.

17. the ABWH album is very good, if you can get it, I bough the cd in the cutout bin for less that $10.00 and it is definitely worth it...

18. Funny thing about Jeff Berlin subbing for T-Lev, Jeff had no idea he was on the live release of "ABWH: An Evening of Yes Music" when I gave the CD sleeve to him to sign at a clinic. I asked him about the tour, he said he got the sheet music and learned it all in two days.

Sounds good on the CD, too.