Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin is the Greatest Bassist of All TIME!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's pretty much all there is to it. I mean, it's been discussed in the past, but we all need a constant reminder that we will never be as good as Tony. He can tear it up, but he doesn't. He plays the perfect bassline to every song he's ever played. I just bought Peter Gabriels greatest hits on CD (I have a bunch of his stuff on Vinyl) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whether his playing is barely there, or totally in your face, he rules every song.

He, is just... Tony Levin. I wouldn't even call him an influence on me though because I know I'll never be that good.

P.S. Aside from those Funk Fingers, how does he get that tone! Besides being the greatest bass player, he has the greatest tone! Is that DI box he has that important?

2. What about Jaco? What about Chris Squire? What about Flea? There are so many good bassists it's impossible to say that one is definetly the best.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

NEVER!!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He makes Flea look like a bucket of gravy. Tony Levin will destroy all!

5. Yeh, right then. Why have I not heard of him if he's so damn good then? And trust me, I know my bassists.

6. Getao

Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    I'm VERY surprised you havn't heard of him then, because that means you probably havn't heard of King Crimson or Liquid Tension Experiment, among other things.

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    With all due respect, if you "know your bassists" then you will know of Tony Levin, whether you are a fan of his or not... therefore it must be presumed that you DON'T "know your bassists!" :bag:

However, to address the original post - he is not the best, he is simply one of the "greats" :bassist:

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tony is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE players ever. Good call Matt!

9. It's about time someone realises this.

Flea is overrated, Tony is underrated. Flea was still wetting his bed when Tony was already a studio man.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I dig flea... but Tony IMO is a much better bassist. I think if you asked Flea directly, he'd agree too

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love Tony Levin. His lines are so graceful and grooving. He was a huge influence on my fingerstyle playing and he was a musical influence even before I started playing bass (I've been listening to King Crimson since 1st grade or so).

Matt,
    Does the greatest hits cd have "Don't Give Up" on it? I have Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" both on CD and on video and he's awesome on that. I also have this CD of a Christian artist named Jennifer Knapp that has Tony on bass and Vinnie Cauliuta on drums. It sounds so good...those two guys are basically the reason I bought that CD. Just goes to show that Tony doesn't just deliver the goods on his main gigs such as Crimso, Gabriel and Seal but also on his everyday sessions.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :rollno:

brad cook

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Flea makes me frown.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Dude.. You don't know who Tony Levin is? (Yet you know of Flea. What a suprise :scowl: )

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Leland Slkar :p? I think he takes the cake with like 5 Gajillion albums.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Let's not get into the "Who's played on more albums?" thing again. We had a whole thread about that before and it just got tedious. Yes, we know that Jamerson, Palladino, Sklar, Levin and whoever else has played on a whole lot of albums.

brad cook

17. lay off the kid...
    he's on'y 16/17.

nonetheless,
    ask Les Claypool where he got his concept from and i bet he will tell you TONY LEVIN...or just watch the Primus DVD and listen to him playing SATORI IN TANGIER while warming up.

18. Whoever it was who said I won't have heard of King Crimson, of course I've bloody heard of them! LOL. I've heard of a lot of bassists, seeing as my dad was heavily into music through out the 70s, when some of the best bassists ever like Chris Squire, Jaco, etc... were about. I still think that Geezer Butler is an awesome bassist too.

19. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    The how can you know King Crimson without knowing of Tony Levin?

20. Getao

Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    I guess he doesn't know that the 80's incarnation of crimson had levin on bass / chapman stick.

Fact of the matter is that you've prolly heard him on a ton of recordings (IIRC he did A momentary lapse of reason for Pink Floyd, one of John Lennon's solo albums, and a bunch of other stuff)