1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Levin on Albany, NY pub;ic radio WAMC

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BbBlues, May 5, 2010.

1. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    Driving home from work today I heard Tony Levin on a hour long radio call in program. It was awesome to hear him answer questions about working with john Lennon, Paul Simon, peter Gabriel, and king crimson. He was also promoting his stick band and playing tracks from his new CD.
    What a great treat. I don't know if there is a pod cast but their web site is wamc.org
    Kevin :bassist:

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Does he live in upstate NY area?

3. awesome!! - what was the radio station? do the stream old shows on-line?

4. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
  5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Awe, I wish I knew, as I was driving around all afternoon(damn rush hour traffic!). Tony is definitely a friend to the area, and plays cool smaller venues around Albany a bit(The Van Dyke, The Egg, etc...). I will have to check out the interview!

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Fantastic. You can see why he's got such a long resume (in addition to his talent, of course): he's got exactly the right attitude for successful networking-- positive, humble, patient.

7. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Thx for the link. That is good listening! :cool:

8. T-Lev rocks. I wish he'd come back to Indy with either the California Guitar Trio or the TL Band. The two shows of his solo band I saw were incredible.

9. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks, cool interview. He really seems like a nice, humble, and down-to-earth guy.

I've only checked out a small sample of his huge body of work. I only have one of his solo albums, and I caught the last part of a gig he did with the California Guitar Trio. Even so, his sound and sense of melody is very distinct and recognizable to me. He really has a special touch - a real "bass artist" IMO. I can even hear his distinct style on the little snippets of his stick playing on that interview. Reminds me that I must check out more of his stuff.

10. The live "Double Expresso" CD set is really great stuff.