Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaceman, Jan 22, 2005.

1. From www.tonylevin.com:

2. Exactly what i thought when i read it.

Still though, interested to see this thing.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    OLP? Uggh. I guess I'll go to my local chinese resuraunt, get a pair of chopsticks, get some duct tape and make some Tony Levin signature Funk Fingers.

For a player of Tony's caliber, he needs a EB / MM signature bass. This just seems like a money grab.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah how much will ya bet he wont be playing his own signature, its probably just a lookalike to what he'll be playing..

5. peach.............ugh *cough hack*.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    OLP? Terrible. The dudes from Good Charlotte get two high end - semi high end singature guitars (Ernie Ball & PRS), and Tony gets an OLP?! I sure hope it was his choice to do this to keep the price down rather than because that was all that was offered.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if it's active and made to Tony's specs, I'll grab one... peach and all. Tony is a great player and HELLA BUSY!!! no money grabs by him.

I think he's looking out for the youngin (or old guy) looking to "be like Tony" without dumping a grand + on gear. Most regular folks live out their dreams on less then $500 worth of gear.

8. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Look at it this way, if OLP makes quality budget instruments, what's to stop them from making a great high end bass?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well it says itll be affordable so i dont think itll be a very high end piece. below $1k definitely.

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    *Feels Embarasses*

What's to stop them from making a good mid range bass? :bag:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All im saying is, mid range bass, okay fine, but are they trying to make you think Tony Levin is going to be playing the same mid range bass you are if you buy it?

12. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Maybe it would be correct to think of it as a "Tony Levin designed bass" then? Quite frankly, I think it's very rare for someone to play their signature bass without mods anyways, so why the big deal over this one?

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No biggie, i just have beef with signature model basses :p

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Fair enough, fair enough :smug:

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Tony just deserves the real thing. His bass lines are always so tasty.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Who slags Jeff Berlin for the budget Dean signature with his name on it? (Of course there's also a top notch Dean with his name as well). I have only played with a couple OLPs in stores but I've been impressed.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I sure hope it only has three strings.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

yeah, I'll buy one :cool:

(I linked the picts from Gil over at the pit)

19. Hey thats not peach...........let me see some more colors and i might buy one..........