1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Levin - Still on top of his game!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BK bassist, Nov 18, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    IMG_9376.JPG

I've always been a huge Tony Levin fan .... but then again, who here on TB wouldn't be? (And if so, wtfn?!?!)

I had the pleasure and luck of snagging a 5th row seat to a sold out King Crimson show at the Beacon Theater in NYC last night. My seat was directly in front of the man himself.

3 brilliant drummers lined up at the very front of the stage all night and KC on a riser behind these drummers. Even with the thunderous drumming, Levin's line came through beautifully.

Tony Levin, at 71 years old, wearing a very smart 3 piece suit (without jacket) looked healthy, fit and trim and NAILED IT ....all night long playing extremely complex bass lines in even more complex time signatures. He switched back and forth throughput the night between a vintage Stingray, a Stick and an electric double bass ...

The guy is still just as fluid and creative and nimble in his lines and playing but it's his timing / pocket thats just impeccable often times proving this by being the only one holding down 13/8 time signature runs while all those around him, even the drummers were off solo'ing. Then when he took the mic to sing harmonies with the lead vocalist, I was impressed even more.

I really believe that both Lee Sklar and Tony Levin sold their souls to the devil .... because neither one ages and each one's playing just continues to get better and bettter.

Attached Files:

nbsipics, Bob_Ross, MrLenny1 and 4 others like this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I agree, saw Tony with KC on Saturday night November 11, 2017 in Allentown at Miller Symphony Hall

Played his Stick, Stagg and MM without the toilet seat

3. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    I was at the next show after that! Jawdropping-ly good... was surprised to see that Tony didn’t touch a 5-string that night and used his classic yellow-Three-of-a-Perfect-Pair Stingray! As usual, he effortlessly played electric, stick and upright, and I think that he even went back and forth from bass to stick in one song. Hats off!

4. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    You were at Saturday night's Beacon show?

Yes, absolutely amazing ..... the 3 drummer setup was sooooooooooooo amazing!

"Starless"was the highlight of the night for me.

Speaking of 3 of a perfect pair, I wish they would have done it!

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Saw him recently with the Stickmen. One of the more enjoyable shows that I've seen. He's a fantastic talent.

6. B-Mac

That yellow one is pre-ernie ball MM stingray. He calls it his 'toaster' bass because it was rescued from a fire! Can you believe it? He's painted it a few times. Once it had a caricature of him with his mustache down near the bridge. He had the 'Barbie' 5 string at the show I went to but never touched it.

Personally I was glad they did so little 'Belew' era KC and stuck to presenting the songs close to record from the classic KC era

PeterH likes this.
  7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    So jealous you got to see KC. I would kill to see Starless live!

BK bassist likes this.
  8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I saw a couple of shows on the first 3-drummer tour in 2014. Yeah, wow.

For Belew-era material, you have to check out his Power Trio. A friend of mine once described them as "like King Crimson, but fun!" :roflmao:

9. B-Mac

I saw Stickmen a few years ago in Sellersville, PA near Allentown. I enjoyed that show as well.

BK bassist and Lobster11 like this.
  10. B-Mac

Not to change the subject but I also saw John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring in Glenside, PA near Philly two nights previous to KC on November 9.

McLaughlin had this guy playing bass in his band: Etienne Mbappé. Wasn't at all familiar with him. He was a monster on 5 string Ibby of some sort

Bob_Ross likes this.
  11. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    Is that the burnt one? I thought the “afro” looking one was burnt, because the barn fire happened after the ToaPP shows?... I could be very wrong though. Interesting that he’s not touching the Barbie as much this tour it seems, wonder why that is... is it tone or playing style? Random choice? Eh.

Oh it was crazy intense, they change the lights and everything...

12. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    "Starless" was the highlight of the night!

I would have loved to hear "three of a perfect pair", "Elephant talk", matte kudasai", "Frame by frame" .... etc

PeterH likes this.
  13. B-Mac

They did very little of the Adrian Belew era KC. They did Indiscipline and a few from THRAK. I am more a fan of from ITCOTKC to RED which is most of what they did including the Lizard and Islands album which was a real treat for me.

It wasn't like the past jam/improv KC double trio stuff. This was classic KC. Big influence from Mel Collins and Jakko Jacszyk who were both in '21st Century Schizoid Band' and were crucial to getting Fripp to do the old stuff.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    PeterH and BK bassist like this.
  14. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Seems like they did the same setlist from the Beacon's Friday night show.... both Fripp and Jakko were also in stellar form that night.

15. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    upload_2017-11-19_22-7-6.png

PeterH likes this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I was at the Friday night (11/17) show at the Beacon also, and surprisingly the highlight for me may have been their rendition of "Indiscipline" from the Discipline album with Belew...specifically because of how dramatically they had rearranged Belew's melody to make it something genuinely new.

"Starless" was indeed pretty badass though!

I was especially impressed that they dragged out "Breathless" from Fripp's 1979 Exposure album...though not surprised that it took three stellar drummers to still not equal Narada Michael Walden's performance on the original album track.

Great show all around. This was the 6th time I've seen KC in concert since 1981...and yet I was one of the younger blokes in the audience :)

PeterH and BK bassist like this.
  17. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    "If you shoot our pics we will have to shoot you".

I got tired of that Fripp vibe when they played Chicago. Levin was smokin as usual though!

18. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    WARNING: NOT BASS RELATED (Flame me if you will)

In honor of this KC thread ..... I just love this video ... from Jakko, to the beautifully designed PRS and to it's simply stunning tone ..... something about this video makes me want to watch it over and over.

(Nice Kemper too :thumbsup:)

19. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

upload_2017-11-20_0-34-29.png

nbsipics likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021