Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Hello everybody,
    I was watching SNL reruns the other day when i saw peter gabriel playing. i saw tony lefin was the bass player, but i noticed something weird. He was playing with something like drumsticks taped to his right hand! what is the reason for this? i tried it a few minutes later, but i can't hit the strings at all! whats the deal??

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Those are called funk fingers. Tony developed them years ago and it all came from playing a part of the song Big Time (I believe) where he would hit on the strings with drum sticks. Tony marketed and sold funk fingers on his website for a while but quite doing so a while back. I once improvised my own pair with pencil halves (with rubber bands wrapped around the end) and banjo claw hammers. It worked nicely. It takes a bit of practice to hit the strings but it helps when the sticks are attached to your fingers in some way. Once you've got that it doesn't take long at all to get it down.

brad cook
  3. Tony, with the Funk Fingers!

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got a pair of Tony's funk fingers. Little drumsticks, scalloped where the fingers go, with elastic stretchy velcro, and the ends are dipped in some kind of clear rubbery substance. Nice, though I never spent the necessary time to become efficient with them.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France