Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by teamsmash, Jan 27, 2009.

1. teamsmash

teamsmash Guest

in the king crimson song sleepless, levin uses a slap technique. is he using delay, or is he just that fast?

2. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    might be the funk fingers.

3. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Definitely a digital delay set to one repeat at 16th note speed. You can kind of see it in the video, but live in a small club it's obvious.

He also uses delay on the stick sometimes, like in the trills in the intro to "Elephant Talk".

4. Thanks for the vid. That sure brings back memories. Do you have any more?

5. What the heck happened to the vid? Where's the post? Huh?

Who is the TBer so I can PM him?

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  7. I have crazy cats as well. :D

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Awesome, awesome song. :hyper:

Awesome, awesome bassist. :bassist:

9. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Pretty cool.
    Levin playing his "Three of A Perfect Pair" Stingray and Belew playing his "Twang Bar King" whatever kind of guitar.

Is this from a dvd?

10. That's another great record:

belew_twangf.jpg

And if that is from a DVD, I'm getting it.

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Let us know if you find out.

While I'm at it, here's where the paint job on Tony's 'Ray came from:

[​IMG]

12. This song has been driving me nuts for years. It seems that I can year the slapback delay at about 120ms clearly on the low notes, but not on the "pulled" high notes.

There's a guy on youtube who tries to emulate this with a double-thumb technique (bless his heart!), but I have not seen anyone quite nail this. Anyone out there ever have to cover this tune?

13. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I saw them in a small club on the tour for the CD. Live at least, it was definitely just a plain old delay, and I could hear the delay on all notes. I see what you mean about the pulled notes on the recording, but the delay is there.

14. No idea about the delay. Met him a couple of years ago at the NAMM show. What a nice, nice guy. Funny thing- you'll see him often, wandering around all by himself. We joked that he had no friends, lol... Me, Tony, and my friend Mike, sorry, couldn't resist:
    nammshow2010019-1.jpg

15. Jazzstick

Jazzstick

Mar 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just asked Tony he said this "Sleepless, yeah, was just a single echo repeat, equal volume. Makes it quite easy"

easy for him.

Brett

16. Thanks for the replies - time to do some practicing :)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021