Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Deynn, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I really like Tony Levin's playing - there's some great stuff on the early Peter Gabriel albums and I still don't know how he got some of those sounds and rhythms. Or more particularly, how he thought of those lines.

4. hey thanks for the post Deynn. i watched the first part while my boss was at lunch today. in the afternoons i work with a couple of guitar players that use phrases like "is it true that the bass is real easy to play" or "yea i was going to play bass but i like a challange" today i showed the video and said see the bass player, hear were the melody is coming from, all they could say was "huh, i didn't know bass players did that" i guess i can't blame them the bass they hear is eighth note E string ala' mike anthony

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Levin's great! Anyone have Waters of Eden?

Will C.:coool:

6. i have that and world diary
    i think i like world diary better

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Tony Levin also did a GREAT job in the Liquid Tension Experiment albums...both very interesting cds!

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I haven't heard World Diary. Why do you like it better?

Will C.:cool:

9. they are both pretty mellow cd's but world diary has tony playing with all diferent types of musicians, musicians with instument names i had never even heard of
    again its kind of mellow but a little more outside which i like

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I really like Tony Levin.
    I missed his concert in montreal last week... ):
    i was so sad.
    I have waters of eden, I really like it. I don't really Liquid though, Tony's playing is great, but way too many notes for my taste.

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Which notes...would you take out?...;)

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm sorry, I don't think i said it the right way. Tony is perfect, great groove. But the drum, those double kick, I don't like, and Petrucci, those fast lick....i don't like it either. I like a more simple music with a good groove.

13. Bruce Lindfield

This is quite ironic actually as he is known as a player who goes for simplicity - 3 string bass etc. One of the best stories in his recent book was about meeting John Lennon who said something about not playing too many notes and Levin told him that he had got the right guy!

14. All the ones the guitar player plays. :D

I agree though. I like fewer notes. The LTE stuff is hard to stomach for me. I like TL's work with Gabriel. That kind of music says so much more using so fewer notes than lightning fast Dream Theater shredding. Ugh.

15. pupKorn

pupKorn

Nov 18, 2000
    One of my fav songs that has Tony Levin playing is the song
    Punta Patri with the California Guitar Trio.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Let's not forget all the tre` cool stuff TL did with King Crimson over the years, "Sleepless", "Satori in Tangier", "Heartbeat", etc, etc, etc...... :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

I saw the California Guitar Trio for free at Borders - amazing stuff! They all use identical fan-fretted guitars and the sound was more like one big instrument than three - very varied repertoire as well - Mussorgsky to Surf Guitar!

18. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I saw Tony Levin this summer on a small stage (festival seating). I was right in the front. Tony Levin may have took a picture of me with his digital camera.

19. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I have a bunch of King Crimson. I just bought "BEAT" recently. King Crimson (with TL) was the only band i liked from the 80's. TL joined in 1980.

There is a cool 12 page article on him at http://www.bassplayer.com

since he has his 3 string musicman (for his funky fingers) he had the top ten answers to the question "Why three strings" a few answers were G-strings are for strippers, Because they wouldn't make me two, and my string endorsement is limited.

20. Soooooooooooo smooth. The man plays what needs to be played.