Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony LEvin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Dec 31, 2000.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I wondered how many (and what) bands have had Tony Levin in them. I know he was in Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, and i've seen him live with his back-up band. I heard a rumor that he was on Genesis. I've never heard genesis before so i don't really know. Can you throw me a bone here?

2. hello, try going to http://www.allmusic.com click on person and type in tony levin. you will have to scroll down and click on show all to get the full list. its a great site
    have fun

3. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    that site doesn't list all the bands, or much at all, and i think it is pretty inaccurate. I never heard of Tony Levin Being a drummer and i heard a lot of his interveiws stating that he first was a piano player -> upright bass -> barbshop quartet singer -> electric bass -> chapman stick

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You'll find a discography at Levin's website. http://www.papabear.com is the place - I think it lists every album he has played on on. It's a HUGE list!!

5. were does it say he was a drummer?

6. Tony never played with Genesis (at least not that I know of - definitely not on record - that was always Mike Rutherford). He did play on a Steve Hackett album in 1996 (Hackett was lead guitarist for Genesis from late 1970 to 1977).

Tony does appear on a several tracks on the Yes album "Union" and the previous release Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe (which was a short lived band of former Yes men). The Union album featured tracks from the ABWH version of Yes and also had tracks from the Chris Squier, Trevor Rabin, Alan White version of Yes.

BTW, if you don't know any Genesis, I recommend you start with the 1973 album "Selling England By the Pound". It's one of the finest rock albums IMO.

7. i know he played some great lines with alice cooper

8. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    There is two links for Tony Levin at allmusic.com one shows that he played drums (could be a different Tony Levin since his name is almost as common as John Smith!!!) :rolleyes:
    has anybody read the articles on tony levin in BP from may/june 95 and one of the 2000 issues?

9. yea VLW you got the wrong one do another search and choose the rock tony levin, it has alot more info than the jazz guy
    maybe this link will work
    http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=B98056

:D

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  11. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I have a video af Tony playing drums for one song in am old Peter Gabriel concert from 1978. All the players in the band switched instruments. Jerry Marotta played Bass. Buy the way did Tony Levin ever have any hair?

12. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I've never seen him with hair. Everyone is born with baby hair though.

BTW
    on TL's site there is a picture of a crowd with me in it.