Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin's Pedal's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 4, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Stole this from another thread but check it out

[​IMG]

I see an analogman bi comp, radial bassbone DI and eq, a boss pedal its the colour it might be a tu-2 not sure.

What do you guys think

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ah no not a tu-2 it's one of the boss dd series either 3,5,6 and there is a small behringer mixer as well I think.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The last time I saw him he was using a heck of lot more than that...looks more like a rehearsal than a gig.

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I took that photo.

What you're seeing is the sound check for last Saturday's gig at Keegan Ales in Kingston, NY. If you go to Tony's website you'll see a shot from the same vantage point during the show. I'm the guy in the black shirt giving the thumbs-up in the other audience photo, BTW.

For links to more gig photos, check the thread on the Bassists forum.

During the show I was standing right up front, six inches from the pedal board.

Here's what he had:

Radial Tonebone (looked like it was being used only for switching between bass and Stick)

Radial DI? (Green box)

Small Behringer mixer

Analong Man Bi-Comprossor
    Big Muff Pi
    Boss digital delay (not the stereo one)
    Boss octave pedal

He used the delay and octaver sparingly, mostly for things like "Sleepless" where he needs slapback echo while playing with the Funk Fingers, and for the Stick.

He used the Big Muff a LOT.

I don't recall him hitting the switches on the Bi-Comprossor, so it may have been on the whole time. I don't remember if both lights were on, but I'm sure the yellow one was...which I think is the Orange Squeezer side of the pedal.

I got reasonably good closeups that show settings...I'll try to remember to post one when I get home tonight.

His amp rig was Ampeg.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Wow, he's downsized his stage effects rig a lot.

Seeing Tony is always a treat. :cool:

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    GIG?!

that looks like some kind'a dairy barn or industrial warehouse or something!

I guess I don't have it so-bad at the taverns up here in SE Wisconsin USA. The Mole Patrol even had a STAGE last Saturday... We also had a couple drunk bikers yelling for Bob Seager songs all night.

Did Mr. Levin get obnoxious drunk requests? Hm - I s'pose he made more than a hundred dollars too. ...and didn't have to haul-in and set-up the PA...

(sigh.)

Joe

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have a great pic of TLev's "stadium" road rig, and he had two rack drawers of mounted pedals run through a Bradshaw switching system. Definitely overkill for a local tavern show, for sure.

I remember he had two or three Retrospec Tube Compressor pedals, each one modified to move the power transformer for lower noise to the system, and each with different settings. An MXR Phase 90, TC Electroinics Chorus, Boss Octaver, and many other boutique pedals I can't remember right now.

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    So what? The original Woodstock was held in a farm field!

It is in fact the brewhouse at Keegan Ales, a microbrewery in Kingston NY, which is next to Woodstock, where Tony lives. The people who run it are evidently friends of his.

The big white bags are hops (or barley, or whatever).

It was actually a really, REALLY cool venue, and the sound was fabulous. There were only 250 people there (limited tickets).

They laid out a nice spread of very good food, lit the place with candles, and were serving really excellent free beer all night. Awesome show.

It was the kickoff to his European tour.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hm. Yeah, I guess Mr. Levin DOES have it better than me.

Let's see: Cheryl's Club 175 had frozen pizzas for six dollars, it was mainly lit with neon signs and dimmers that made my amp buzz like mad -- but the band DID get free beers (I had one and a half of'em).

Oh - and I could just WISH that there were EVER "only" two-hundred-fifty people at a Mole Patrol gig. We DID perform P.G.'s Digging In The Dirt, though.

(sigh.)

Joe

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    His signature sound comes from tons of compression and a Phase 90. You can mostly hear that sound on Stick pieces, more specifically "Elephant Talk."

11. I saw Tony at Keegan back in january, and i wanted to go on Oct 1st, but i wouldn't have been able to make it until 10 30 or 11.

Keegan Ales is a really nice venue actually, You can see all the brewing machines around you and the sound is killer.

Kingston is a cool little area, I hope u enjoyed your stay ADouglas

12. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    cool shot of his board, what's the one shaped like a patriots hat do? :bag:

-jimbo

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay, I'll say it.

OH NO! Some of the pedals are not true bypass! Everybody knows they're tonesuckers! :bawl: :crying:

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I saw Tony play with California Guitar Trio a couple of months ago, and he had just one pedal. I'm not sure what it was. And there was probably a DI sitting up on top of the Ampeg (SVT II Pro and 8x10 cab).

The set list was written on a paper plate.

Tony casually walked in, plugged his fretless Stingray 5 in (with a pop, crackle, bang!) and was ready just as the first song started. He played the entire first song with the SVT still on standby. He could still be heard through the FOH, but I was right at the stage and could really only hear his amp (or not hear it as the case were...). We yelled up to him and he flipped the amp off standby for the rest of the set.

Even with just one pedal, and a rough start, Tony sounded incredible (just like Tony!). He played fretless on all but about two songs.

15. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    All the shots I took of the pedal board are here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a115/adouglas2001/Pedal board/

I wasn't trying to document exact connections or settings at the time...just shooting pics on the off chance they'd be useful.

I get the distinct impression that he pretty much threw this together for the show...it's obviously not carefully organized. Still, it's interesting if only to show what TL considers essential.

I can't quite figure out the signal chain, and I wasn't about to bug the guy or touch anything. It's clear that the Tonebone goes to the small mixer. I don't know what the red-ended input to that mixer is coming from. The output from the mixer goes to both the Big Muff and the volume pedal. The output of the volume pedal goes to the octaver. After that it gets confusing...wires are hidden under things. Anyone care to speculate?

I'm thinking that the signal is split at the mixer with one side going to the Big Muff, which then goes straight to the DI. The other side goes through everything else, probably with the compressor last in line before the DI. This way he gets a mix of clean and distorted sound.

One of the photos was taken by accident during the show...I'm glad I've got it, because it shows a couple of things: The tonebone is definitely being used only for switching between bass and Stick (the Boost light is off) and only the Orange Squeezer side of the Bi-Comprossor is being used.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well it's on one of those powered skb board I think and he's not suing it to pwer anything probably because the radial is well over 1200ma's in draw.

Again I agree I think only the orange squeeze is on on the BI comp. The volume pedal I think might be a wah pedal maybe the older dunlop bass crybaby before the 105q came out.

and the boss delay is last before the radial DI on the floor.

If you look at the controls of the tonebone it's set flat so you're right again he is just using it to swap out between instruments.

17. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    No, it's definitely a volume pedal, not a wah. He used it only to silence things between songs.

I don't see any positive evidence that the delay is the last thing in the chain. Doesn't it make more sense to put the compressor last?

I'm thinking:

Bass->Tonebone (for switching)->mixer

Mixer A out->Big Muff Pi->DI
    Mixer B out->volume pedal->octaver->delay->compressor->DI

18. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Something just occurred to me that makes perfect sense in retrospect.

He was about to head off on a European tour. His amps and effects must have already been packed, and he just threw this stuff together for that one gig. It probably isn't anything like his regular touring rig.

19. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    I am so happy to know that I have the EXACT SAME MIXER as Tony Levin! I carefully chose it based on hours of research here at TB, as well as from reading reviews in BP,Mix, Home Recording, Home Recording for Bass Pimps, and Home ReModeling for Ferrets magazines..

Quoting Home Recording for Bass Pimps magazine re the Behringer: "Never in the history of HRBP have we ever heard a mixer like this- ....sweet PHAT lows and growly mids, tempered by glass breaking, pristine highs. When put through its paces, using our test lab 58 string Laktone Salmon Platter lute bass, the mixer was not only quiet , it was dead quiet..making the use of speakers and headphones redundant. All in all -6 stars!"

The fact that it was $36 didn't hurt either.

20. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That seems entirely plausable. Tony's gonna sound & play like stud no matter what he's using anyway. :D