Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin's sound on "Lovetown"...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwjazz54, Dec 7, 2005.

1. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    On the Peter Gabriel track "Lovetown" (for the movie Philadelphia ), Tony Levin's tone is sick . I mean, it is hot with a capital "H".

Only problem is, it was played on an Ashbory bass. You know, the little dinky plastic toy with rubber strings (LOL I know we have die-hard Ashbory fans here; I'm just having a little fun!). I had the opportunity not long ago to try out an Ashbory, and I just hated playing it; it's just not for me.

So now, the question: How to get that sick tone from a regular fretless bass? I'm going to assume there are no 34" scale rubber strings.

Would you have to EQ a special way (and what is it)? Or is it a lost cause?

Anything, and I mean anything , to keep an Ashbory out of my hands! :scowl:

2. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi there!

Well, you could start mounting a piezo-pickup on your bass. That's one of the things that makes the Ashbury sound the way it does.

I had a fretless 6-string bass with both magn. pickups and a piezo, really nice sounds...

3. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an Ashbory bass and another piezo bass; a Godin Z-111 (no longer made). The Z-111 is a solid-body fretted bass similar to the Turner Electroline and is strung with Thomastik Acousticore strings. The tone is huge, full and upright-like. Having said all that, you just can't beat the Ashbory for massive bottom end. :D

Jeff

4. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Thanks all, but I gotta bump the thread!

5. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    And.....................again.

6. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    One option:
    I have a fretless Epiphone El Capitan 5-string abg, with piezo pickups and flatwounds, that has amazing bottom. The low B combined with the big body and piezos gives you serious low end options. I'm not sure that it's still made, tho.

If you've got a fretless, you could try putting on flats, detuning a step or two or three and raising the action. An octave generator would be interesting added to that...

hmmm.. I may need to try that! :)

7. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I clearly hear the bass subharmonizer working on this track. Ashbory is cool instrument but it want go so low itself.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    What strings does a Turner Renaissance come with?

9. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    He loves using a truck load of effects on his bass. God knows what he used, it always sounds great though.

10. dlmarquez

dlmarquez Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Tacoma Washington
    Turner Ren's come with TI acousticore strings, and Rick Turner recommends you use ONLY TI Acousticores on the renaissance basses. It has to do with the design parameters of the neck and truss rod. At least that was the case a few years back when I had a rennaisance 5

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A double bass would get you close.

If I was playing this is a band I'd just use my 5 string P bass with flats. Maybe some foam to kill most of the dynamics but I wouldn't beat myself up trying to get this exact sound.

The magic is in how it's played. If you play it well you'll be 99% there.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It's going to be hard to mimic that quick decay an Ashbory gets naturally. You can kinda get it with a Kala but you may just hate them as much. :D

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Playing an Ashbory is about playing it the way it wants to be played. Throwing some P bass technique on it just doesn't work. The YouTubes of famous players on the solid body Kalas demonstrates this. (The Kalas and Ashborys are quite different too. TMI but the many string formula give different responses and feels.) They are getting those piezos to clack and distort because they aren't playing with finesse. Just a different animal.
    You let those strings bloom and respond. You can play funk and play fast too. Not trying to convince you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    QFT