Tony Marino w/ Dave Liebman

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Friday 4/26/02 Dave Liebman quartet w/ Vic Juris, Marko Marcinko & Tony Marino.

Tony used a 140-year-old Tyrollean bass -- mighty sweet-looking -- through a Walter Woods amp, Raezer's Edge cab, Realist & clamp-on mic. He got a pretty natural sounds considering that we were hearing the front end of a rock-club p.a.

Nice musicianship -- very supportive, good intonation (particularly on a lyrical thumb-position solo), great time. Tony had outstanding walking time -- it really made me sit up and take notice; he was kicking a band that had a few other kickers in it! Nice guy, too.

The bottom line, though, was that when Liebman, Juris & Marcinko play free, they just don't need no kind o' bass! That Tony played so musically in that setting is, perhaps, the highest testament. What a band!
  2. Out of friendship, rather than my abilities (I've known Vic for 30 years), Vic lets me sit in on his gig with Kate, his singing wife. Talk about counting your blessings. He is one astonishing talent, sadly unrecognized.
  3. Tony Marino is the most under-rated player in the scene today. His understanding of his surroundings is truely what sets him apart from the rest. Completly self-taught(thats right, not a single bass lesson in his life) he comands the bass.