Tony Markellis gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dByron, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    Anyone know what his rig looks like? I saw him last night with the Trey Anastasio Band and his playing and tone were phenomenal. I know he played a P, or possibly a PJ, but other than that I couldn't see the rest of his rig.

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was right in front of him at the 2 brooklyn gigs. He's playing a fender P. I didn't take note on the rig, but some googling looks like he is running into an ampeg or an acoustic amp. Not sure on any outboard gear, but he definitely does not use a pedal board. He may have a rack compressor or something? I would think that if you posted on a phish board, you'd get the answer.

3. mkguitar

mkguitar

Dec 31, 2015
    I teched for Tony.
    The rig he used for TAB etc. was provided him by Trey- A main and spare DNA 1350 bass amp and a 410 w horn cab- nothing special. The horn turned back some. A di between the bass and the amp. A boss tuner on the floor.

I'll reveal the secrets:

1.) " play it like you mean it " that was Tony's email address

2.) Charts, Tony played with charts- it allowed him to play the notes in the measure and clear his mind of the next page, song, bar or whatever- each note was now

3.) Old strings are cool, no zip no zing I "think" I last changed Tony's strings in January 2020...could have been months before that

4.) P/J bass, Tone back a tad, both volumes usually full ( VVT wiring )

5.) amp turned ALL the way up- (Tony never touched a knob once the amp was set)

6.) but play lightly, very lightly and fluidly- loud amp and light hand.

7.) the Gracie Stand helped his left hand play light and fluid, the stand supported the bass- the past few years Tony's left elbow was often propped up - all this really changes the string from fretted to open strings in a good way, balance and the effort of the left hand and arm

8.) play good songs with people you like- Tony and Russ Lawton didn't have to talk much. If the bass holds steady, the drums can accent- watch the leader for the changes.

9.) Tony's bass was an aftermarket body ( heavy) and an aftermarket neck- probably a warmoth- ebony fingerboard- also heavy...jeez. The tuners were from Dave Borisoff - Hipshot- with a drop D tuner- the pickups were unknown, I don't think Fender

10.) approach with humor- Tony kept "situations" light onstage and off- and be nice to your tech. Tony sure was.

Tony had a thing for writing and has published short stories collections- please buy as a tribute.

Thanks to Trey and others Tony's recorded works will be here for us.

Cheers, MK

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    adube810, cosmicevan, Sithian and 2 others like this.
  4. mkguitar

mkguitar

Dec 31, 2015
    Tony- Party Time.jpg

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    Wow. Thanks for the detailed info.

Such a loss. The groove that he created, his tone, and how he sat in the mix is so much of what I love about TAB. Won't be the same without him. I'm glad I got to see him the times I did.

Has it been disclosed what happened?

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    RIP my friend... :(

PS - I haven’t seen him in a while, but he used to use DiMarzios.

7. mkguitar

mkguitar

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, DiMarzios

MK

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    RIP Tony, he played great when I saw him with TAB at the Greek Theater in Berkeley a few years ago!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021