Tony Oppenheim

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassduder, Feb 2, 2002.

1. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    can someone tell me some players around today, or even players that are somewhat well know, who use Tony Oppenheim style of playing slap...i heard that theres his style and stu hamms or something...anyways does anyone know any one who plays Tony Oppenheim slap style?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I got myself his book as a Christmas present and really like it.

4. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000

Its a great little book for new ideas to add to your slap arsenal. He starts off doing the usual octave drills which you should work out even if you've been slapping the bass since day 1.

Also, the notation is not available in tab.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds a bit self-defeating - he just lost the vast majority of his potential audience! :rolleyes:
  6. I agree with you BL. Tony had a forum somewhere; I can't find it now, but in the forum he announced that he was putting his book out in tab form. After I posted my disappointment I looked though the other post and saw members of the TABEVIL clan had already been there and expressed their disappointment.
  7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've used the book for years, both for myself and with students, and reckon it's great. The lack of tab just leaves more room for actual useful material - if he had to write everything out twice and make the book twice as long, and I'd had to play extra £££ for that, I'd be rather pissed off...

well worth checking out the book though...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know anything about the book and was just joking - being facetious really - as all the "kids" seem to come along to TB and ask for 2 things : "how do I slap to impress people" and "I need tabs for this now!" ! :D
  9. Oddly enough then Bruce I still agree with you, even is you were joking. Personally I picked up the book about 3 years ago and it was a great change for me. Most of the books I saw delt with the "newer" style of slapping. "Slap it" delt with more of the Larry Graham, Louis Johnson style of playing, ie. the 70's. I like the book a lot and still pick it up here and there. There is not a ton of rapid fire triplets but that is what not what I was trying to find. The notation only adds to the book because there is no guessing the intended groove.