too anal about condition of this new bass? (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by staindbass, Sep 3, 2010.

1. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i need some quick help here :meh: i have a 2 day inspection period on this mail order bass, today is the last day. yesterday i noticed some things that i dont think should be on a $4736 dollar bass. there are some air bubbles between the finish and the fretboard on both sides. yes, very small, but i dont know if they will spread in the future, or if it is from a chemical reaction, or if the bass was not stored properly (its dated 2007, but purchased as new) or if the wood was not clean enough when the gloss finish was applied. there is airspace between the finish and the nut/body/fretboard joint on both sides. the worse side is pictured. in the same picture, there is a line to the upper left of the nut that seems to be in the wood under the finish. the wavy line to the right of the nut is just a reflection. in another pic you can see my finger pointing to another airbubble. so am i being too anal? i looked at my carvins/g&l/spector legends and there is none of that. my connection is slow, so i will post pics in separate posts. thanks for any opinions. johnny a.

2. TalkBass Sponsor

3. I'd send it back. That's a lot of cash to lay out for a bass with imperfections, even if they are minor ones ...

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Johnny -
    It IS "anal", but you SHOULD be anal about a high dollar bass like that. You wouldn't keep a new Ferrari that had been delivered with a ding in the door, and this bass, for all intensive purposes, is a "Ferrari with a ding in the door".
    That said, those things will probably never make a difference, but there is always that "possibility" that air under the finish will lead to peeling in the future. Not always, but it does happen.
    I would send the bass back or negotiate a better deal.

5. matt11

matt11

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I guess it depends on what else you like about the bass. For that kind of money I'd have to say a new bass should be absolutely perfect in all aspects of construction and finishing.

6. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Dude... send it back and get a different one. That is total crap.

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Totally agree

8. My only thought is, as a customer paying that kind of money for a bass, you have the right to be as anal as you want. If you're not satisfied after stroking a check for $5K, then you're not satisfied.

I guess my only question is, "Do the flaw(s) make the bass inherently sound or play worse, and are they a big enough issue to be a deal breaker?" Especially if this was to be a tour bass, which you're well aware will get many little nicks and dings on the road. If it's a studio/home bass or collectible, the answer may be different.

What kind of bass is it?

9. yeah I would be dismayed about those on a 800 dollar bass, on more than 4K, no way. It should be flawless

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Neither of those things would bother me a bit. Especially since after a few practices and shows with me it'd have a few more characteristic marks anyway. Looks is somewhat low on my list for what I need out of a bass though, as I don't concern myself with image no matter the cost of it. If it does bother you though then call them up and explain what you see and why it's bothering you and see what they say.

11. Send it back. For that kind of coin, I'd want perfection. I'd also want it to sound like a pink unicorn farting out moondust.

Seriously, the condition is unacceptable.

12. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008

Someone needs to sig this.

:D

13. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    +1 on all of the above .... I think that could have been labeled a "blem".
    send it back or ask for a price reduction that makes you very happy to live with it.
    Then when you put your first mark/notch in it you'll be over it already.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The "air bubbles" don't bother me at all. OTOH, the line under the finish looks like a legitimate concern. I'm not sure from the pictures whether it's a crack or not - but if it is, that's a bad spot for it.

15. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    What kind of bass is it?

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    If folks could (regularly) rag on RIC for similar issues, then it's fair game in this case as well.

Perfectly understandable, it would bug the heck out of me too.
    I say send it back.

17. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    I'd be wondering what else slipped past quality control.
    Send it back.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Succinctly put, sir. :D

On a side note - am I the only one in this world who has a problem with the phrase "anal", shortened from "anal-retentive".

What does it even mean? Retain things in your a**? :eyebrow:

What does that have to do with being particular, or thorough? Just saying.... :meh:

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1 to this question as well. The only basses I could think that would cost this much would be custom jobs from luthiers, and I can't think of one that would let things like this fly. If it's been sitting on the shop floor for three years though, I could see dings etc. being present...