Too bad, so Sad -scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blipndub, Dec 20, 2005.

1. A couple weeks ago was outbid on a Buttercreme SR5 fretless on ebay. Missed it by $10 (sold for $910) I was very bummed.

So yesterday I get an email from "ebay:

This is an automatically generated email. Please do not reply.***

Second Chance Offer

Item: Musicman Stingray 5 String Unlined Fretless Bass (7372940544)
    This message was sent after the listing closed.
    Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US $900.00 is now available for purchase:

Musicman Stingray 5 String Unlined Fretless Bass (7372940544)
    Your Price: US $900.00

Second Chance Offer
    You expressed interest in an item titled "Musicman Stingray 5 String Unlined Fretless Bass "
    (Item: #7372940544) by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.
    In compliance with eBay policy, the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your
    bid price of US $900.00, because the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller
    has a duplicate item for sale.

If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for
    eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection.

Act Now - This Offer Expires Soon !
    To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly.

To purchase this item, contact the seller at this email address:

Do not reply to this email.
    Contact the seller at this e-mail address:
    Thank you for using eBay!

This eBay notice was sent behalf of another eBay member through the eBay platform
    Copyright © 2005 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
    I was pretty excited and started thinking about the bass, but there was no message in my myebay so I was a little suspicious. I checked up on scams and emailed the original seller through ebay. He replied that there was no second chance offer made.

I thought this was pretty convincing and I wanted to pass on to others.
  2. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I thought ebays policy was to never contact the seller directly. In fact, they have an option to hide the sellers email address. That is tricky.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've gotten about 6 of those, and I ended contacting 2 of the sellers and they both asked me, "What the heck are you talking about?", so, I figured.........
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Ebay does have a Second Chance Offer option in place. I've used it once successfully as a seller (winning bidder flaked).

eBay 2nd Chance Offer

The Second Chance Offer should be in your My eBay Messages, if not, it's probably a scam!