Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

too fast...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Ok, I usually not into playing this type of stuff, but I need your advice. While learning "ode to joy" I`ve decided to open a random song in guitar pro, and ended with metallica`s master of puppets.

:bassist:

The thing is, I can`t play it. It`s too fast for me to play it clearly. My question is - will playing it 200 times at 50% or 75% (I can play it at that speed now) help me evolve necessay precision? Or should I leave it and come back next year?

I know that learning slow is usefull when song is difficult due to hand coordination, etc. - I do that all the time - but when it comes to plucking speed, speed and speed alone?

2. Ode to joy is too fast? or Master of Puppets is too fast?

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes - slow it down.

Get it down properly at a lower speed - make sure you're in time (use a metronome).

Then gradually jack the speed up, making sure you can still play it properly.

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    MoP is to fast:) Ode is difficult due to double stops with requie quite a strech on a four string (lke the b on the e string and high g on the g string:), but nothing I can`t handle within a week or two... :D

5. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Yup, I agree. If you can't play it up to speed, slow it down, and play it over and over and over and over and .... well you get the idea. Once you're comfortable there, then speed it up by 5 beats/minute and play it over and over and over and over etc. After you've done that enough times, you may even find that you've exceeded the speed of the original recording without realizing it. It does take some time and patience, but it doesn't just help you for that one song. Your overall technique becomes that much stronger because of it.

P.S. It's interesting to note how many drummers have ignored the notion of practising with a metronome or click track.

I can't remember who used this as their comment for a TB forum, but it'll always stick in my head. It goes something like this: "An amateur will practise until he get it right. A professional practises until he's never wrong." If anyone knows who originally said that please post the name. I want to give credit where credit is due.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The trick for me when you slow it down is to FEEL what your muscles are doing, and how your fingers are moving. Ingrain that into your head, and your muscle memory, and speeding it up will be EASY.

The quote mentioned above is very important.

ellimate mistakes, slow down as slow as you need to go, even if it means playing the thing at 10 BPM, play it without mistakes, and feel how your muscles move, that way you will accelerate faster.