Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

too good to ba a SQUIER ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, May 25, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i was having alot of trouble w/ my fender mex j/bass(fretts lifting,neck moving etc)so i decided to trade it in at a local music store,SO i was browsing around and came across a fender J bass with no pickgaurd(or holes for that matter)it had no control cover because the bass does not need one(rear control cavity),and it also has a painted h/stock(same color as bass body)BUT ITS A SQUIRE !made in INDONESIA not JAPAN which makes me wonder why this bass is so well made,it blows my mex out of the water in every area(quality,sound you name it)it was made in 2000 and its NOT and anniversary edition or any type of special model. if i someone told me a squier(not a japan made)could be this sweet i would'nt believe it,i've seen nice japanese ones but thats about it. ANY THOUGHTS ? and yes i traded my mex for it in a NEW YORK SECOND and had 100.00$ credit(the squier was only 90.00$:D )have any of you seen this mysterious bass b-4 ?:bassist:

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Haven't seen this particular bass, but have good experience with Squier. As good as or better then with Fender, incl American F.

And you seem to like it, no? If you can find major flaws in the body joint, forget it, otherwise: why not?

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i am definately gonnas keep it,some parts on it are a little flimsy but all in all its WAY better than the mex j-bass i traded it in for.what really blows me away is the matching blue h/stock and pickgaurd/control plate-less body.and believe it or not it actually has the "FENDER GROWL" j-basses are known for,something my mex bass lacked. I put my fender ashtray bride cover on it and it looks saweeeet ! i still cant believe its a non japanese squire, even the frett-work is is superior to my mex bass,and un-like my mex j-bass this bass stay's in tune which i find quite a good quality in a bass. i plan on putting in some after market p/ups and a bad-ass bridge, any sugestions on a good set of p/ups that will make it sound like an original j-bass should ? i was thinking of the custom shop nos p/ups ANY FEEDBACK ?:bassist:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen them before. They also made a P bass version. I never played one but if you like it, that's all that mattered.

This is a little confusing, you got $100 for the MIM & the Squier was $90 or you got $190 for the MIM & the Squier was $90 & you have $100 left.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    a bit confusing but here's the long short,200.00 for the mex,90.00$ for the squier, so 110.00$ left over for me to waste on strings and such so i got me some strings(flats and compression wound)and a polishing kit,and a bass video and a couple odds and ends. thanks for the interest guys i'll try to post a pic.:bassist:

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If it's good, why change it?
    You may find thet you loose all that $$$, and the tone you love.
    Loose your dole on other things.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think your think your going a little over the top saying that you have played squires better than the MIA jazzes....please....i have never came across a bad mia....

steve

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    His opinion can't be wrong. When it comes to opinions, you're both right.

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i dont believe i used a reference to US. basses,i compaired it to a MEX.and i have played a few crappy US. made basses in my time though they were few and far between.i would never buy an american made fender PERIOD.i believe that a JAPANESE made fender is better dollar for dollar than a US.I have a japanese p-bass that people have said is better than ANY fender they have come across and i follow suite,this is my opinion and mine only, it is not ment to sway your feelings toward basses in any way.I just will not be taken advantage of by the overpriced market of FENDER US.I love fenders and i only play FENDER'S period, and have the ut-most respect for what they have done for the bass community.I just dont need to buy a bass "just because" its am american made,i have yet to come across one that has better craftsmanship than some of the JAPANESE basses that i have had the pleasure to play. not every one is fantastic(japanese) but for the most part they are very consitant in there work which is more than i can say for some of the other models ESPECIALLY THE MEXICAN.they have dis-appointed me every time and would'nt play one if it was given to me,I would sell it (or burn it)before i invested any time or money in it.Of the fenders i've owned they are the only model that have consistantely let me down and costed me money to up-keep them .This is my opinion only and no dis-respect intended to any MEX owners, because there are SOME good ones out there(they have just not crossed my path):D THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUY's:bassist:

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    suburban is the one who included the mia jazz.
    and opinions can ne wrong.....isn't that my opinion?

steve

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Telling someone that the MIA Fender taht THEYplayed is better then the MI? Squire that THEY played is not only wrong, it's silly.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was saying that it wasn't impossible...i just think that he is exagerating...

steve

13. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i am not exagerating nor stretching the truth OR telling a little fib,it is my experience and i stand behind it 100%,to be honset with you i prbably would'nt believe it either,but its OK if you dont because i am the one who saves money buying basses others wont buy because of a name:D please tell all your friends how crappy those basses are,start a petition while your at it.i have a INDONESIAN SQUIER that i traded my MEX jazz for and its 100% better of a bass than my mex was PERIOD. and i only paid 85.00$for it.you can keep your overpriced american FENDERS while i stock up on the "LOW END ONES":D its ok ,really its ok if you dont believe me, i know i'm not taken all that seriously around here to be completely honest with you and i am also not well liked because i'll tell it like it is.i'll go play my japanese p-bass and sulk over the 700.00$ i saved buying japanese:bawl:

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i like squiers don't get me wrong... i have a couple (6 stringers tho) and they are great for the price... but MIA status...really...they don't charge $125 for a new squier if it is better than a $900 fender..they would sell the squier for more and make a bigger profit.

steve

15. I have played MIA basses with all the vibrant responsiveness and groovy tone of a bread board. Actually, I think that's what they should have been made into!

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Don't worry, I like you. :)

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    who said they didn't like him?
    i have no problem with him...
    i don't mind import basses.. i have a couple..
    but overall the mia is better.

just think about it if the squier played better than something they were charging $800 for. they would sell the squiers at $500 and make a huge profit.. they aren't bad...but hardware and parts...wood...etc.

steve

18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    There are some excellent Squiers out there (and I mean excellent fullstop (or period) not excellent for the money). My ex-vocalist's father was a pro-drummer and has an 80's Squier Precision which is an awesome sounding and playing bass. It's just got that righteous P-bass tone.

Alex

19. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i agree 100% that US. made FENDERS are better made than squires for the most part,but you cant argue that those early 80's JAPAN made SQUIRES dont rival some of the better fenders floating around.and as far as the comparison between a Squier and a US. model its an unfair argument,the wood is a better cut,the electronics are superior,the frett-work is more consistant as is the finish is much more professional than you can get with a SQUIER,there is no arguing that.But i cant justify spending that kind of money(900.00-1200.00$)on a AMERICAN bass when i've went to every music store in my area and played countless US. made basses when just about all of them had fluxuating quality control.Not one of the basses played i would have been able to say "NOW THAT BASS IS WORTH THE ASKING PRICE". Believe me i was very dis-appointed after going through all those basses and finding all kinds of poor craftsmanship. at least with a Squier you what to expect and be able to overlook alot of flaws being they are 200.00$ basses(OR LESS).Now back to the japan's,i've played all types of models(STING BASS,G. LEE BASS, various re-issues and a hand full of standard p and jazz basses)and for the most part all the basses being sold as "new" basses were all consistantly equal in quality,and all the used basses(my 87 p/j bass included)were similar in quality.My point being is that the Japanese basses were generally all similar and consistant no matter what model it was. The price range was from 200.00 to 350.00 $ USED, and 500.00-600.00 $ NEW. After doing all that research on those basses(US and JAPAN)the proof is in the pudding,i seen it, and heard it, and played the differences. There is no way that anyone can convince me that a US. made Fender is anywhere between 300.00 - 600.00$ better than a Japan made.The only thing that is debatable is maybe the actual overall quality of parts and hardware. Its possible that the Japanese basses use cheaper electronics,hardware or wood,but those little bit of debatables cannot justify the price difference between the the models. And after all this typing i dont have enuff strength to even bother getting into comparing either of these basses to the MEXICAN models,its not even worth my effort,i'll probably end up offending someone who is a MEX fan, So i'll end it while i'm ahead:D
    Thanks to all that contributed.Your opinions ARE important to me even if i dis-agree,it allows me to see different sides of things that i dont necessarely agree with and would'nt of bothered to look into unless others brought them to my attention,please dont be offended in any way shape or form. these are only my observations and opinions i have gathered through my own personal exp. and with the experience of others in which i respect there opinion and out-look on the subject in question.PEACE :bassist:

20. Hyperboles aside, those Indonesian Squiers seem to be great deals. I was totally flabbergasted by a (MII?) Telecaster a few weeks ago.

I'd never trade my MIA P-Bass for 10 of those Squiers, but I reckon that they are great beginner instruments.