1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too good to be true? (CL content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boris, Jul 25, 2012.

1. boris

boris

Dec 15, 2005
  2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I would right away say scam....but there is a phone number. Won't hurt to give him a call.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i suggest going to check it out but dont bring cash just in case it is a scam. That price isnt too far off. It could just be bills forcing the guy to sell or something?

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Crappy pictures, but it looks right. I would make sure the neck is OK after 30 years storage, and I bet the pots are a little scratchy.

5. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    crap, my dream bass too. Yeah check out the neck

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My dream bass too as my birth year is 1969....

In any case, I am looking at my 1974 P as I type and the headstock logo is the exact same as what is pictured. I THINK they should be the same, but forget when the transition was made.

FWIW, I paid $2000 for my '74 all original P about 5-6 years ago and the market has gone down a bit. $2500 for a nice '69 is a good deal, but not completely insanely low. The big dealers may ask $3999 or whatever, but they have been sitting. If the bass is 100% original and in the shape it seems to be (with no neck/pu issues), it is a great deal.

7. boris

boris

Dec 15, 2005
    Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow and maybe set something up to check it out.

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    You should call early. That bass will generate some interest.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. Don't want to get scooped by a NC TBer after posting the ad!

Go get it!!!

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Yeah, I'd be careful about posting deals you've found w/o editing out the sellers details.

Anyone living in or around NC now also knows about this and may just beat you to the punch.
    As long as the ad is broadcasted for all to see it is fair game until its sold.

I'd be calling this seller no later than 7-8am.
    Looks like a killer bass for a really nice price, just don't let the allure of a great deal blind you from potential sketchy stuff.
    Best thing you can do is get in front of this guy ASAP. Shake his hand feel him out.
    Let him know your a serious buyer and if need be ask if you can investigate further into the basses parts.
    Then sit up all night tonight researching 1969 Febder Basses.

Good luck, I hope you get it. If not I'm in VA, I'll come grab it if it sits too long.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is no way that is an actual 69, that thing is in immaculate shape. Did he keep it in a vacuum sealed container for 40 years? I would guess it is a NOS or something.

12. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I had a 66 Jazz that I bought in 2005 and sold exactly a year later. I bought it from the original owner, similar story: spent 30 years in the attic. Same condition as this bass. Btw, bought for $2500. Happens, folks.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    It'd be pretty hard to say its immaculate just from the provided pics. My bass looks bright and shiny in similar pics, you have to get right up on it to see the checking and other misc. blemishes.

What seems strange to me is that my bass really was stored in its case and unopened for 47 years, and I know w/o any shadow of doubt that to be true.
    If you look at my tuners they are bright shiny and just as pretty as the day they left Fender.
    My String tree is also nice and clean and free of any signs of aging.
    Same with my bridge, all my covers and my neck plate. All free of signs of aging.

Looking at this bass the tuners look very aged, very tarnished (almost too much) yet the bridge appears to have aged differently.
    Could be 2 different types of metals but something just seems strange about how aged those tuners and string tree are compared to the overall quality of the bass.
    Also if the bass has been cased for 30 years how did they get so tarnished?
    Yes things happen sure, it could have been exposed to humidity. BUT how is it ONLY the tuners & tree seem to have aged? And pretty dramatically at that. yet the paint and decal and overall appearance seem to be excellent?????

Also if it genuinely has been in its case the past thirty years why does it seem to have new strings on it? If you were taking a bass out of its case and selling it wouldn't you just leave its original set on it?
    Of coarse those could very well be them, I'm just guessing here.
    The more I look at it though, in my noob opinion and based off of my now 5 month Vintage obsession, then the more I would say you should be damn careful here.

And please don't let him pressure you into making a rush purchase, saying that at his price it's not gonna last and blah blah blah.
    If you have to rush its not worth the risk unless your 100% sure.

Good luck.

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Low resolution pictures make it hard to tell, but it could very well be legit. Fender switched to poly finish in '68, so you won't see the yellowing or checking of the lacquer you'd see on nitro finished instruments. Correct non reverse tuners are nickel with a patina appropriate for its age. Nickel will tarnish in the case depending on how it was handled before putting it away and the climate. I had a Noel Redding sig Jazz with nickel hardware that aged that much in months in hot, humid St Louis summers. The bridge and covers would be chrome and age differently. Logo is correct.
    Ask him to remove the neck and pickguard to look for date stamps, pot date codes, etc.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I find it interesting that he has an instrument stand for it. I mean...you don't play that beauty for 30 years but use other basses in the stand? If he didn't play any instruments, where did he get the stand? I know he could use it for regular guitars and maybe he doesn' t even play bass but if you're an active musician I find it hard to believe that the bass just sat there. I know there could be a multitude of explanations...just seems a little strange, that's all.

16. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I live in the Seattle area and see stuff like this quite often. There is more original, vintage Fender Basses, Guitars, and amps in this area than I have Ever seen. Especially with the state of the economy, people are getting out the goods and Selling. Good Luck. Hope you get your Dream Thumper!

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

Certainly worth taking a look. But if you're going to drop that kind of money, you should bring along a person who knows vintage Fenders.

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I'd give it a look for sure, Just do your due diligence and as suggested above if you can bring someone who knows vintage instruments, do it.

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

Really? It's fake because the owner has, bought or borrowed a $20 guitar stand to take pictures of it in? Great detective work.
    I see nothing in the pictures to call this a fake. I would have to see more detail to declare it authentic, though. I'd say it is worth a trip to have a closer look. Take a phillips screwdriver with you when you go to check it out.

This site is a pretty good guide to determine authenticity.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#pbass
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#serial
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Get a cheap caliper set and measure the neck width at the nut, should be 1 5/8". Rosewood should be veneer rather than slab. Contour at the headstock end seems to indicate veneer. Closer look at the heel will verify.
    Neck plate serial# should be around 250000 to 280000, but could be a little lower or higher. Big script F below the number, which I think I can barely make out from the pics. Look at the code on the neck heel, it should start with 5 and end with 9B.

1969: new type of neck stamp consisting of 6, 7 or 8 digits was used on some models. This new stamp was usually green ink. An example of this type of neck code is "529129B". The new green stamp was used concurrently with the previous "XX MMM-YY W" format. So a neck could have either code system! The model numbers change yet again (for example, "22"=Stratocaster).

The 1969 to 1971 Neck Stamps Explained.
    This information was provided by Greg Gagliano. The neck stamp used from 1969 to 1971 can be extracted by working from the outside inward. For example, let’s take Telecaster Thinline (s/n 272207) with the code: 3320119B. Starting a the right we have the letter B. This appears to be the same neck width code that Fender had been using since 1962. The next digit denotes the year, in this case 9 = 1969. The next one or two digits denote the month, in this case 11 = November. The first one or two digits of the code, in this case 3, denotes the model. For Telecasters, Telecaster Thinlines, and Esquires that code is 3. For Stratocasters it is 22 and for Precision Basses it is 5. The other three digits (320) are perhaps some kind of batch or lot number. It could also be the number of instruments of this type produced for that month, but I would suspect Fender could make more than 999 of any one instrument type in a month. Hence it is probably a batch or lot number.

Here’s our P-Bass again (s/n 277983) with the code 529129B. Breaking up the code we get:

5 = code for Precision Bass
    291 = batch or lot code
    2 = February
    9 = 1969
    B = 1 5/8 inch neck width (correct for a ’69 P-Bass).

The pickups and pots should be date coded as well. Use the site linked above to learn how to check those. Here's another '69 for comparison.
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-precision-bass-1969-sunburst-2#
    Check the detailed pics for location of date codes, this one has the "XX MMM-YY W" format but yours could have the format outlined above. Also note the rosewood veneer profile shown in the neck heel photo.

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    :) I love reading some of you guys' responses in these type of threads, Gigslut you'd be one of them, always a great learning experience. If nobody else tells you guys I will.

It's appreciated always.