1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsesspool, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Hey all. I've just acquired a Darkglass Microtubes 900 V1 for the ludicrously low price of $130 out the door at a local pawn shop. I brought it home to test out and it fires up and puts out signal. The switches and knobs all work, the fan works, all the lights work... Seems to be in fine working condition. Cosmetically it's a 7/10. It is missing the footswitch.

For this price I keep expecting something to be horribly wrong with it. Are there any issues common to these amps that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Did your fingers burn when you picked it up?

3. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    Sounds like you went into a pawn shop that doesn't know the internet exists. You don't find deals like that very often these days.

Gearhead17, johnny_bolt, MCF and 5 others like this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes - they get stolen often.

5. Ha, funny thing is, whenever I try to haggle with them over anything they pull up Ebay completed listings immediately. In this case I just kept my mouth shut and walked out of there as fast as I could!

6. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Nice, for that price i'd say you did very well.

Obsesspool likes this.
  7. Maybe it was in their best interest to get it out the door as fast as possible...

8. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Oshawa Ontario
    I bought a used gk700rb-ii for under 200 at Long and mcquade once, but for new tech stuff that seems really low. In Ontario at least there is a holding period at pawnshops and even music stores on used gear to try and discourage stolen gear.

Door County Bass and dkelley like this.
  9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I would have talked them down to $127.

BOOG, sgj, bwoodman and 4 others like this.
  10. That's the case here in California too. Used to be 30 days but it recently went down to 7. In any case, I seem to recall the amp having been there for a few months but I wasn't in the market for another amp, and I just assumed they did their homework since I know them to be usually well informed... It was kept on a shelf behind the counter with something on top of the price tag and I didn't bother to ask about it until now. So I don't think they were knowingly trying to rush out a stolen piece, but there's no way to know for sure. I don't think I can escape feeling a few kinds of guilty having this though.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I had a bass stolen years ago. The cop came to fill out a report. As he was getting in his car he stopped. He turned to me and said "Your bass will be in a pawnshop in Jacksonville North Carolina before dawn tomorrow. By Tuesday it will be in another pawnshop in Jacksonville Florida. They have a network of trucks going up and down I-95. That bass is gone. Wish I had better news."

:meh:

12. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    For $130, something must be wrong with it! No footswitch!? What? Ridiculous. Tell you what, I will give you $150 to take that piece of junk off your hands... :smug:

13. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    The cops knew this, but couldn’t shut down the operation?

Bassdirty likes this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Cops have other things that are more important on their schedules, especially in Florida., Corralling shirtless, yelling drunk guys on camera, for example. When a call comes in for a domestic disturbance, the first thing they have to do is call ahead and convince the guy to take his shirt off before they get there, or that scene won't air. Plus, often the guy isn't particularly drunk, so they have to coach him on that, and hang out somewhere so he can get a few beers in him before they arrive. That kind of work is very time consuming.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  15. LOL. Visions of Trailer Park Boys in general. Randy in particular.

imabuddha, 2112, David Jayne and 2 others like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Correct. Couldn't or wouldn't. Not sure which.

monsterthompson likes this.
  17. Sometimes pawn shops just get tired of having the same thing taking up the same space for a long time with no interest.
    If I see something with more than 6 months worth of dust on it, I start thinking maybe they want it gone.
    Sometimes, they do. :thumbsup:

Al Kraft, Rabidhamster and Obsesspool like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Sometimes they want it gone, because, it's probably a bit too "warm".

Al Kraft, Passinwind and agedhorse like this.
  19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Guest

Mar 25, 2018
    Where are all the people who would never do a deal like this and would have educated the shop owner so they would have a clean conscience?

20. How much do you think the pawn shop paid if they're listing it for 130$? They're not in the business of losing money and it's definitely not OPs fault if they didn't do their research.

What you say is noble but really the only person who loses is you for not getting a good deal - the pawn shop still makes money... or it's stolen, in which case just saying something about the price isn't fixing anything either! :(

imabuddha, Obsesspool and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021