Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juddeman, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Juddeman

Dec 19, 2005
    Bit of background on my amp-history.

Have been playing bass for a good few years, up untill the start of the year I had a borrowed practice amp. I was in a band, but all the gig we did we hired a decent PA system and often we'd be playing with bands who would let me use their bass amps. So, long story short I didn't have to worry about amps, and so I never learnt anything about them.

So, start of the year i had to give the practice amp back. Being on a student budget I obviously couldn't afford much. I came on here, educated myself on amps and went looking around. I found a 100w McKenzie combo in a local shop for £65, so I got that. I hadn't heard of McKenzie then, and I still can't find anything on them. So, I'm now in a band again so I am looking to get a decent amp set up (well, a trade off between quality, and leaving enough money for me to eat) in the next year or so.

I saw this . From reading the forum thsi seems very cheap, and I've always been of the thinking that if something looks to good to be true it probably is. So, are the models of amp/cab there awful? I know tone can be very subjective, but build quality and part quality must be pretty **** for it to be that cheap, right?
  2. Yep - the best advice you'll ever get is from a techie. Talk to a few of them, from diff, companies too.....They'll tell you which amps keep coming back.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

if you buy it, make sure you can return if you don't like it, it isn't loud enough, or breaks.
  4. Which wil more than likely happen! :p
    I see you're in tzeh UK; Ashdwn MAG series! It will S6MOKE the behringer!
    Mag300 and a 4x10 - stil leavng you powAAAr for another cab. wuldecost aro0nd 3£400 possibly slightly more. In the UK, imo itdbe one of tzare best deals!
    Peavey is another to lo09k out for. If youe into the rock scene Trace is ACE ;) ;) to look out for; their older 2nd hand stuff can be found on eb@@@y all the time.

hapeeeeeeeee holiday!
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do you TRY to type like that? :p

Anyways, the best bet is to go for ashdown. The behringer stuff isn't bad, but it's not great. Though it is a bit better than the amp I started with. I am only on my second (first real amp; My other one was a guitar amp and a bass cab) bass amp, and it is a GK. I always recommend GallienKrueger. But, for the money, and ease of accesiibility for you in the UK, that behringer is not bad. I would look around a bit more for reliability opnions regarding the Behringer.
  6. seqarch for "bunghole" ertyh... "behringer2, expect GREAT RESULTS!!!!1
    gk is nuice if u got zeee montash to splurge on it! :)
  7. I appologise for him, he is incredibly drunk right now . . . you know christmas spirits and all :rolleyes:

If you want a loud/reliable/decent sounding setup, cant beat a good peavey :) (imo of course)
  8. Another vote for peavey when on a budget and you need something loud and reliable.
  9. I just noticed your in the UK Juddeman, keep an eye on ebay, you see peavey firebass heads going with a 4x10 cab for £400-£450 on ebay now and then, and its great bang for buck, mine cost me £500 a couple years back, but its good stuff :)

Im a poor student, but lucky enough to be staying at home and spending most of my loan on gear . . . altho, its not a good thing, got a fair amount to pay back :( , all good