1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacume, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
  2. Ask the seller heaps of questions and don't forget that the starting price set at $500. It's hard to trust people these days and it maybe a scam. However, read his feedback and see if you can get someone to have a look at it for you.
    Even ask for more photos. If he can't supply you phots in some way then question him if he really has the rig.
    Hope this helps.

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    1) Use the shipping calculator to see what he's charging for shipping.

I put in 90505 (LA) and got $638!

2) His feedback are all positive - but all from sellers. This guy has never sold on ebay.

3) Tell him you're local and ask if he can arrange for you to see the gear - and tell him you want to pick-up to save shipping. (you can always say it won't work for you to go - but you can see how he responds)

4) Ask how he plans to ship and why the shipping charges are so high. It looks like he's at the least trying to scam ebay out of commission (as shipping charges don't get charged commission.) At the worst he's trying to scam a bidder who doesn't calculate shipping before bidding.

5) Does he have the original boxes? If not, how does he plan to ship?

6) Ask for more pics.

7) Ask where he bought it. If it's only been used 2x, it should be the name of an Austin music store.

8) No price on ebay means anything until the auction closes. Some items go up hundreds of dollars in the closing minutes.

4. I did the same thing, and shipping to Ohio was $622. Shady.

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    +1 You never now what will happen exactly, sometimes you get away with a steal sometimes not.

Ask questions.

6. Agreed. Many auctions that start with a price of $0.01 go for thousands of dollars. It's not "too good to be true", it's just a low starting bid.

I am almost positive that that will go for a reasonable price.

7. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: I just put the zip code (i am sure there are many) for austin texas and shipping was only $503.93 wow what a deal my 2 cents

8. That doesn't make it a scam, it just makes it have expensive shipping. That shipping makes the auction start at $1000, which is still a very good price, eh?

9. It is too good to be true.
    Shipping will kill any great savings and may end up costing you more than a new rig! Be careful and good luck.:bag:

10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    has anyone tried to contact the seller? my guess is that he just typed something in wrong with the shipping calculator.

it's not a too good to be true item... he just set a low start bid. when i sold my GK 800RB i listed it starting at 9.99 and it sold for $485. i NEVER thought it would sell for $10.