1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too Hot!!! How do you Tone Down an OBP-3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaddAnthony_59, Jan 23, 2012.

1. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I took possesion of a Josh (JJ) Helms bass today. It plays like NOTHING I've ever picked up! But the bass is Waaay too Hot! The Electronics are Kent Armstrong SoapBars and an Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp, With the bass in Active Mode I have to put the Preamp at 2, and the Limiter at 5 or less. In Passive it's a little better, but not much. And this is on the Active side of my amp!

It seems I have to control the "Cajones Grande" with the Volume Controls. But I've never seen an OBP-3 preamp this hot. Is it the Pickups? Any ideas on how to "Tone it Down?" I can take pics of whatever would help.

2. Col E Loc

Col E Loc

Nov 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Try lowering your pickups.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Probably the pickups. I don't notice a huge increase in output with the OBP-3 bypassed in my Lakland.

4. MaddAnthony_59

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    Okay! I'll try lowering the pickups and see what happens. THey're not Super close to the strings though.

Thanks!

5. MaddAnthony_59

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    And you Nailed it Sir! :hyper:

I broke one of the Screws off trying to lower the Neck Pickup :crying:

But it broke Clean and I could get it out with Pliers. One of the previous owners had a TON of cushion under each pickup. I pulled 3 layers of Foam off and left what looks like the Original (Bottom anyways!) layer.

I'm about 1/2" lower now and the Volume is Perfect! It's still got "Cajones Grande", but no hum, no Clipping and no reason not to go play it Now!!!:bassist:

In Passive Mode it is now Noticabley quieter though. I'm guessing someone used this bass primarily in Passive Mode. Not any more!!!