1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too hot Quarter Pounder P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tommy gilstrap, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I recently installed a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in my Fender P bass. It sounds great but I have to use the input on my amp that is designated for active basses. I have quite a few basses both active and passive and none of them even come close to the output of this. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or would know what is causing this preamp clipping output.:cool:

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Yes! I swapped out the stock (broken) pups on my '06 HW1 P-Bass with SPB3 awhile back. I tested them on a little practice amp and into the case it went for some time (I fiddle with my '08 Jazz more than anything.) Recently I took it out and plugged it into my Yammy BBT-500H for a spin. What did I hear? Distortion. Even at very low volume. My first thought was, 'Damn, there goes another amp". Then I noticed the input clip light was blinking away. I had it cranked for the Jazz (also passive). Turned the gain down a bit and all was well. Whew! Stupid me...

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    My pickup also broke on my 1984 Fender P and I went to a Quarter Pounder. It is one of the loudest and definitely the loudest passive pickups I've ever used. The transients out of them are pretty large.

I knew I was in trouble when I used a Sansamp bass driver and couldn't get it to stop farting even with the drive level at min :)

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    If you like the action of your bass, the way it is, then lower the pickup. You can trim the foam backing down a little , and screw the pickup screws in a little deeper. This will make it a little less harsh. Just a thought, cause string height in relation to poles can make a difference.