Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too Late the Hero (CRINGE)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, Aug 28, 2003.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I happened to be watching VH1 Classic Request Show last night when I witnessed the most horrible song/video I have ever heard/seen. So, I am sitting there chuckling when all of a sudden it hits me... THAT'S JOHN ENTWHISTLE!!!!! Has anyone else ever seen this video or heard this piece of crap song? I mean, everyone knows that Entwhistle was a revolutionary and amazing bassist with The Who but if this song is representative of his solo catalog, I guess I have done well by not purchasing any of his records....

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own four of Entwistle's solo records including "Too Late". His first two solo records, "Smash Your Head Against The Wall" and "Whistle Rhymes" are interesting, particularly the latter, which features fantastic guitar work by Peter Frampton and a few geniunely good songs. "Mad Dog" (which I do not own) is interesting for an amusing autobiographical song called "Cell Number Seven" about The Who in jail in New England. "Rigor Mortis Sets In" is interesting for the solo version of "My Wife".

All of the albums except perhaps "Whistle Rhymes" are IMO extremely forgettable but interesting nonetheless for a Who fan.

I got "Too Late The Hero" as a 99¢ cutout LP out of curiosity in the early 80s. I spun it once, considered it unlistenable, and have never heard it again.

I also have Keith Moon's "Two Sides Of The Moon" solo record. Now there's an interesting record.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I actually have always kind of liked that song. Bought the album when it first came out. It's included on his "Greatest Hits/Anthology" from a couple of years ago. Didn't care much for the rest of it (Original album and Anthology).

However, the video was pretty laughable.

Great player. Not so great solo artist.:(

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ROTFLMAO!!! I just dug that cassette out the other week. I bought it when it was released too... I think I've only played it all the way through 3 or 4 times :eek:

I do dig his bass tone thou

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    "Thou" dost diggeth Sir John's bass tone, doth ye?
    So do I,..."though". :D ;)

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hey, I happen to like that song!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :) (ok ok, I'm cheesy and from the 80's myself)
    'Talk Dirty' is a cool tune (albeit campy).

I GASed hard for years over the pointy Alembic on the cover!

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Back in the mid-80s, when I lived in Minneapolis, one of the smaller music stores had a version of that bass (no spider webs and such) that they couldn't seem to sell. I'd play it every week and really liked it, but I'd just bought a Steinberger and couldn't really justify another bass purchase....even though they came down to $900 :eek: by the time I left town.

I've kicked myself many times over the years for not buying that bass. I've never even seen one come up used since then.:(

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, seriously, if you think John's solo albums are rough on the ears, just try making it all the way through Keith Moon's album! Lord knows I find Keith amusing, and it was recorded in the same batch of LA sessions that produced Harry Nilsson's "Pussy Cats" and Lennon's "Rock & Roll" (two of my guilty pleasures), and it's got Klaus Voorman, but Keith just cannot sing at all. And double tracked out of tune vocals are twice as bad. I've bought it twice and had to get it out of my house both times.

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    LOL!:D

11. Lest we forget, that album actually CHARTED back in 1982 or so.

I have all of JAE's solo stuff. I pretty much agree with philbiker's assessments.

Now Two Sides Of The Moon...that is some funny stuff! The backing vocals are mixed higher than Keith's (not such a bad idea). And his "The Kids Are Alright" did not cause Roger to lose any sleep, that's for sure.