1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too many basses but don't want to sell any

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    :DAnyone else have this problem? I currently find myself with way more basses than I can play, want, or need, but I just can't bring myself to sell any of them.
    Right now I have seven bass guitars. I never wanted to have this many, but I kept stumbling across great deals on nice basses that I can't resist.
    I play one regularly that's a definite keeper, a second that is the type of bass one would never sell even if I don't play it as much as I should... the rest should all be fair game to move onto a new home. But whenever I start to think about selling this one or that I just can't bring myself to put it up for sale. I have a different reason for keeping each bass even if they hardly get used.
    Right now I'd really like to pick up a nice short scale hollowbody bass, but there's no way I'm bringing an 8th bass into my jam room. I'd like to get the others down to 4, so I can bring in a nice hollowbody and settle at 5. At least that was my plan... it seemed like it would be an easy decision at the time... but two months later I haven't been able to bring myself to post a single one of my basses for sale.
    I'm sure others have had this problem. How did you get over it? How did you decide which basses to sell?
    BTW, it's not a matter of money. All of my basses are mid to low priced instruments and I scored great deals on every single one. We're not exactly talking a collection of Fenders, Fodoras and Birdsongs here... :D

2. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    That would never happen to me.

And what do you mean seven. You mean 7 Precision basses, plus the other basses, right?

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    LOL! Actually, only one bass is a Precision, and it's a P/J Squier model with a jazz neck so it may not count. Five of the 7 are short scales, which is what I play 90% of the time.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Tough decisions. You'll have to figure out which ones are extraneous in function. If they all fill a unique space in some way, then go by which you have the least use for. Also, if any of them are rare or you think may appreciate in the future, those should get priority in your stable.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have way too many but refuse to part with any even the ones tucked away in their cases.

6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's an interesting outlook and maybe one I should consider. Perhaps I could just retire a few into a closet somewhere to make extra space in my jam room. Then I could bring in a new hollowbody and no one would be the wiser... uh, I mean... I'd still have space in the jam room :D

7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Give them to me. Problem solved. I'll use them and you don't have to bother putting them up for sale. :D

Maybe try handing over two or three to a good friend and have them sell them for you. That way there gone and you never had to go through the trauma of putting them up for sale. Just give your friend a spec list and how much you want to ask for and the minimum you'll take in case someone wants to negotiate.

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I sold one recently and it was tough. The way that I dealt with it was by being honest; I wasn't playing it and it deserved to be in the hands of someone who could appreciate it. I have fifteen more of them, but it was still s difficult decision.

9. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    I have no problem selling anything I have for the right price. I have some favorite basses but there are always more basses to buy.
    My wife can't seem to sell anything she owns. I guess it is just a mind set.
    It is all just stuff and like I said, if you sell one you surely would be able to replace it with a similar bass relative soon if you find out you need it.
    Unless we are talking about some rare basses?

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    It feels good to let things go...once you've begun the process.

11. I have about 12 and figure I could do with fewer, but they're all paid for and I don't NEED to do anything with them.

SO I just play them - or not - and enjoy having them.

12. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Hi, basses are more valuable than money, just sold them if you need the money, or put them on sale for a convenient price and wait until anyone is sold.
    Just compare what you can purcharse now, with the same amount of money that you paid for them.

13. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Too many? No such thing.

14. Seven. That's not too many. Twenty may be too many.

Your call though.

15. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I tell myself "It`s a buyer`s market. Not a good time to sell but plenty of great buying opportunities ...and you can always sell them later" Repeat.

16. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    I have the same problem and I have decided to sell every bass I don't use regulary.

I have made this absolute final decision at least three times. I still have 13 basses. Haven't sold one yet.

But I did manage to donate a couple to a garage sale for my local Humanist association. So that's an option.

17. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I've been buying guitars since I was a teenager. Now it's decades later and I've never sold one, and the number of guitars slowly keeps getting bigger.

It's not that I'm a hoarder or anything like that -- I don't actually own that many guitars, and when I do buy one, I make sure that it's going to be a keeper.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that I'd have all that much difficulty parting with any of them for the right price. To me, the biggest impediment to selling a guitar is that it's a PITA to deal with the hassle. That sort of prevents me from buying stuff that I don't really, really want.

18. justdave42

justdave42

Sep 20, 2007
    I have the same issue right now, but there are much worse problem to have in life. ;)

19. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    I have the exactly same issue right now.I had 8 basses and last week there was a black MIM Jazz on the Bay for 160 local pickup only. It was dirty, but after a good cleaning and ordering a black/white/black pickguard it is a beast. All of my basses are also low priced so I don't feel that bad having them, but it getting a little out of hand. I am left handed so it is definitely a buyers market. I've had a hard time selling basses and always seem to find good deals.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Not wanting to sell stuff afflicts many, many people ( including me). :atoz: A few things I picked up along the way may help somewhat explain the situation (at least it did for me):

Shopping for and buying stuff seems to make us happy, even if it's stuff you don't need or end up using. It may be the process that increases one's sense of well being. Not that this is happening here, taken to the extreme, hoarding and impulsive shopping(shopaholic) to the point where it impacts your life, can be very tough to deal with and are considered symptoms of mental health issues like depression, impulse control, etc. . Even on a small scale, it can be stressful.

Since you got good deals on your basses, it may be that you have been personally validated by these transactions.

As far as not being able to sell them, possibly, since the purchases have validated your buying skills and raised your sense of self worth, you may be attached to them and selling them or even thinking about selling them possibly raises your anxiety level. Therefore, you don't sell them. And also keep looking for other purchases.

Another thought is that you may not care for the selling process and negotiating for your basses along with having to think about advertising, packing, insuring, shipping, mailing, etc., possibly having to deal with and meet people from Craig's list or sell to buyer's out of state and worst of all, you may have to take a loss on the sale or even face rejection by having to hold on to the bass if no one wants to buy it. Selling a bass (or any item) can be a sort of confrontational and stressful process and that may bother you as well.

Also, making a profit on something your attached to may not make you feel real good since you didn't buy the basses to sell them.

One way to reframe the process: you could sell them for what you got them for and pass the "great deals" on to other TBrs (and may feel good about that.:)

Another alternative: since your pretty good about finding "great deals", take a different approach: flip the ones you don't need, make some profit and continue shopping for more good deals with the profits you make.

Or, consider yourself a collector of "great deals" and don't worry about it. :bassist:

As far as selling them, I suggest you make a list of the basses in the order of preference and start with selling the least preferred.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Note: All info provided is for educational purposes only. Please see a professional for proper medical and/or psychological treatment.