Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many choices.... Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Mar 24, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I've been looking into preamps for the past few months and the more i search the forum and other sites the more choices/ideas i'm presented with. The ones that appeal the most are Alembic F-1x, Demeter VTBP-201s & HBP-1, BBE Bmax-T, Ampeg SvpPro and have recently been trying to find out more about the Yamaha PB-1. The problem is with so many choices i always end up just getting frustrated after awhile of researching. the other problem is that there are no places around me that i can test out any of these preamps. So, i guess what i need help with is narrowing the choices. I play rock music and like good mid's, low's and high's (in that order). The preamp has to create a good tone that can cut through.

Please, give me opinions. Let me know if any of the preamps dont sound that good for rock, or if some sound especially good for rock.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. I'm a new F-1x user and still haven't quite mastered the whole interactive controls thing yet so take it for what it's worth. The Alembic has great scooped tone which I absolutely love, but I haven't figured a way to coax a lot of mids out of it. If you like a strong midrange, it might not be the pre for you. I just struggled with the same choices you are now and went with the Alembic because tone is sooo good, but then again, I'm not after the midrange you may be after.

3. I don't have enough experience with these preamps to recommend one or the other but in your situation I would want to have one with a parametric mid control.

FWIW I like mids too and just decided on a BMAX ss pre for the above mentioned reason.

4. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    Thanks for the replies so far, but i know alot of people on this site have played or are playing some of these preamps. Let me know what you think is good about each and what style they are good for.