Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many choices!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumpingbob, Aug 28, 2004.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Im looking in buying a new amp and I really dont have any direction as to what to get. Ive never bought a serious amp and I dont know the brands/differences. I have a price range up to about 300 dollars, maybe a little more and I think it'd probably be best to buy something used off of eBay. So far ive been looking at Backlines, some SWR workingmans(although I dont like how old most of them are) and an Ibanez SW100. Theres also this yorkville, but it comes off as shadey to me.

Any and all input would be very welcome!!!

Thanks,
    Ben

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    That Yorkville amp is Killer! its only that price now. trust me it will be bid on again at a higher price! the reserve price has not been made yet! 300 for that amp would be a good deal!
    i have a Yorkville xm200t 2/10 200 watt combo and it is nice!
    for the price!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :ninja:

3. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
  4. Get the XS400! Thats a great amp, probably loud as anything too. Bid bid bid!

5. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Are the backlines any good? What about the ibanezsw100? Something cheaper that can power a cab might be a better option for me... any suggestions guys?

What about a Roland DB-500? Those seem very nice, but im not sure if they offer a line out to an external speaker?

Thanks,
    Ben

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've heard good things about the SWR workingman's amps, but I know from experience, those Yorkville combos are fantastic. I have but one word to describe them, and that word is "scrumptiferous."

And I love that someone would have their ebay auction's title include "BETTER THAN AMPEG." So blunt. It makes me laugh for some reason.

7. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Aside from the yorkville, what other amps offer good sound and longitivity and also possibly have a line out to power a cab, say in the 125+ watt range. My price limits around 300.

Does the roland have ext line out?
    Is the ibanez sw100 worth buying new? (cant find on ebay)

Any other options I havent found yet??

Thanks!
    Ben

8. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Peavey TNT combo. I dunno much about them, but I had an ancient one a while back and that thing was indestructible, and i was maybe its 5th owner.

It didn't sound so hot, but I think the new ones sound better.

9. Careful there. A line out is very different from a speaker out. A line out is a low level signal meant to send to a power amp or maybe a mixing board.

10. Just want to add that if you can get one of those Eden-made Nemesis combos I think you'll very impressed, better in my opinion, than the SWR Working Mans 12, but admittedly bulkier. Or if you can find one, and afford one, check out the EBS Drome 150 combo - that is simply incredible for both sound and size - and build - they are like tanks with micro-hi fi sound, awesome!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    also look at the Ashdown MAG stuff.... great bang for the buck.

12. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I found a couple Nemesis', but they are a few years old. Do they last a very long time or should I stay away?

I like the Ashdown stuff, however the MAG series is too far out of my budget and I cant find any on ebay. The Ashdown Electric Blue 180 12 I could do though, its 180w with 1x12 and has aline out, which i guess wouldnt really help me.... How do you all like this one?

Thanks,
    Ben

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a pair of older MAG 1x12 combos... very similar to the current electric blue stuff. It's plenty for most jams and the line out will plug you into a PA if'n you need more.