Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many Fenders-Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassksun, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I really want to buy a Fender Jazz but there are so many out there that I'm really lost! :help:
    Is there an ultimate guide to Fenders thread or sumpthin' like that? Is there really a big difference in quality between a MIM,MIA,MIK Jazz, a 60's reissue Jazz (599us)? For example, I'm looking at a MIM for 299us and a MIA for 799us both are in great condition. We are talking 300 to 500us difference. But for what really? :confused:

Any and all help appreciated.
    bassk

"There are no jobs for which sanity is a pre-requisite"

2. Many people believe the build quality/attention to detail to be better on american models. Others are willing to pay extra for the simple knowledge that it was built on american soil. I have no expertise in the bass area of Fenders, but the two guitarists in my band both use Fender Strats. One American, one Mexican. They look, feel, and sound identical to my ears and hands. Individual results may vary.

3. well.. of course the MIA is better.. better pickups, graphite reinforcement bars in the neck and string through body... more options on colors.. and stuff.. however the MIM is good and you can make it excellent.. I modded mine all I have left is the new pickups :) it's just all about what you want.. a upgraded one or a stock one as good :)

my MIM btw

[​IMG]

4. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    My first bass was a Mexican-made Fender 4-string jazz. I still have it and play it more than any of my 4 bases. I have Dean Markley blue steel mediums on there and I really like the tone. Setting it up has been real easy. Other players have commented that the play-ability of mine is really quite good. The tone/playability to price ratio is quite good. I don't know if I got lucky with my particular bass.

On the other hand, when I went shopping for a P-bass, I ended up buying the full American version. To me, that model consistently sounded better than the standard and the Highway-1 models. The extra money I spent on that bass was definitely, without a doubt, worth it.

I've played some American-made Fender jazz 4-string models and they sound real nice, but I don't find the tone difference as striking as I do between the P-basses. The new pushbutton switch on the American jazz basses is pretty cool. Nice on-board tone control with that. That may be worth it.

Another "advantage" of the Mexican bass (seeing as though it is less money), I have not been afraid to set it up myself. I change the gauge (and brand) on the strings and re-adjust. I also installed a hip-shot tuner. It was good practice for me, and it ended up a better bass (like the previous poster mentioned). I have been afraid to monkey too much with my American P-bass.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can you play each one beforehand? If so play and pick what your ears and hands tell you, not what your wallet says.

Who would believe a wallet anyway? You fold it up and stuff it in your pants.

6. That's great advice. Is there a Guitar Center in Vegas? If so you'll probably be able to play several of each (MIA, MIJ, MIM). Not that I'm endorsing GC, but it's a place to get a sense of what's out there.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Trust in Tim... I've found his advice to be rather useful... :)

Having said that... I'm not sure how much of your Vegas bucks you're willing to part with for your axe... :eyebrow: So, I'm going to toss a suggestion at you, but it's gonna be four figures:

Fender's Stu Hamm Urge-II​

I have one, and I luv it... ;) Apparently 'ol Stu had something to do with this instrument's design. It isn't a Jazz body, nor is it a Precision body... strangely enough, it's somewhere in between... :confused: However, IMO, that's one of the features of this bass that makes it "unique?"

Another facet that Stu wanted: this axe has Jazz pups, AND a Precision pup. So, in effect, this is a 3-pup bass guitar! :eek: ...and, as you might've expected, it's also a 9v active bass, so there's EQ dials that offer a rainbow of tonal possibilities... (your basic Treble, Mid-range, and Bass)

Stu likes 'dem long-necks, too (both beer and bass necks). So, this axe has a two-octave neck, and all frets are easy to find... and, as a decent "little guitar" player myself, this bass feels, and plays like a little guitar... :D

Price??? Around $1400US

Gotta go... I forgot I'm supposed to sit-in for a guy... they're waiting for me... :rolleyes: WHOOPS!!!!

8. you can never have too many fenders :D

anyways, the only difference i've ever heard about MIM and MIA is that the electronics are put together slightly differently, a slightly higher quality bridge, and a really nice paint job. in essence, a fender is a fender, its just the people who assemble them that make the difference.

9. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks All...lifesavers all of ya!

Tried both today..
    I played both through a new swr rig and could not find any significant feel or sound diff. Both are used and in great condition. (This is worse than choosing between a wife and girlfriend! ;) )

No one responded that in their experience the MIM sucks...and making mods is fun...so. I'm gonna get the MIM and take the extra loot and put it towards my GAS jones...http://www.electrocoustic.com/products.html

Thanks again....good advice as usual...I feel so much better now :smug:
    Peeeeace!

10. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd be panhandling on the strip..."Will play for food."

Now, if Nevada Gaming Control sees fit to slide me a royal flush some day...different story.

11. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I believe when you collect anything, the resale value should be considered. If you buy a MIM Fender, the resale value will be low. As far as playing, the MIM bass will probably be fine.

12. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Goood point. I sincerely appreciate it.
    No more selling guitars for me my friend...sold my 70's FP (pearl white, pearl inlaid fret board, black tort pick gard, badass bridge so thick the luthier had to router it in to get the low action I wanted, for sinfully cheap in 79 :crying: Not collecting either...I just want the FJ sound (and feel) for musical needs. If I got it I'll play it.
    Thanks again

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Understood, my brother... However, should you hit the big one (...or simply save-up), you might wanna check out the Stu's... they do play oh so easy, and you can dial-up just about any 'kine sound, li'dat...

I'm glad it was a slow night at the bar... 'cuz I was a little late, the guys were pissed since there was hardly any patrons, so the owner shut us down anyway... No matters... "sit-ins" don't get paid anyway... :rolleyes:

Aloha from a braddah 'dat trys to stay away from Vegas... but can't... :ninja:

14. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    if you want a good Fender, go for a Geddy Lee

its MIJ, you cant go wrong with that. great bass!

15. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Jonki-

I would have snapped one of those up if it was used and in my budget.

Thanks for the suggestion.

16. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    It must be that ohana...but remember they don't call it "Lost Wages" for nothing! Saturday mornings is Hawaii Music day on Vegas public rahdid-io...you got folks there that can PLAY!

Now you got me geeked :) ... I'm gonna try a Stu based on your suggestion.

Peace Bra

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've never played an MIA, but I took the plunge and purchased the FSR Ash Jazz bass, which is MIM. It's a solid bass. Only a few minor issues to deal with about the set-up, but after three years of bassing, I'm pretty comfortable with it. In the price range, I'd rather get some custom spec'd by Warmoth or Valenti before I got an MIA. And if you're really cheap, mod an MIM like I'm doing.

18. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yah TEC...not that I'm cheap...just ain't got no ca$h. Get the MIM FJ... get a reliable enough one...get the sound. I'd like to have a Porche but gotta drive a Ford. It's all good. A few cheap mods...mods are fun. What mods did you do and why (if you don't mind)?

Thanks for the reply

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well most people will replace the bridge since they feel that they are fairly flimsy. Most people tend to use a bad ass II bridge since it has sustain for days.

Some people also change the tuners, wich isnt really needed but can help with keeping your bass in tune for longer periods of time. Id suggest the hipshot lytes (i think thats what they are called) to help with balance.

Next are pickups and electronics. Now some people love the standard pickups. But some people just dont like the sound they put out. If you are tight on cash then i'd suggest dimarzio UJ's.

Also Some people want active electronics. A lot of people get the J-retro becuase it fits a jbass perfectly and offers a lot of flexibility in tone.

Hope this helps,
    ~JB~

20. Fender... "All your bass are belong to us..."

I'm sorry... I clicked this thread thinking to myself... I have to post that!