Too many genres

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassjus, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't get it. I hear names of genres being thrown around all the time, emo, emocore, posicore, hardcore, posthardcore, indie, metal, metalcore, grindcore, and a bunch of other stupid ones. Whats the deal? Am I missing something? More than half are the same damn thing. I see people arguing over what genre a band is in, and I'm getting tired of it. First off, who the hell cares? and second off, why does it matter?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Only l4m3rs care, and no it doesnt :p
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also if anyone wants to feel as cool as me, they can use my new Emo smiley that i created through lovely Ms Paint. [​IMG]
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Is that a graphic of Toasted :eek:
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well, according to the Grammy officials, there are 107 categories of music that they use to judge acts on. So you have plenty to argue about.
  6. Genres are supposed to help give you an idea of what a band sounds like. Yes, some of the subdivisions seem a bit excessive. There was a thread about this a long time ago, where Smash gave a very eloquent and genuinely helpful response. Look for that one. Never mind, Smash is already here.
  7. EL-mo rules all.

This would actually be funny if I were to post a pic of Elmo. Imagine that.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Your are Leet Figjam!
  10. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    It bothers me because what one who isn't totally down with the whole scene would call "hardcore" would get yelled at for calling it the wrong thing. Mostly any decent CD store around here has a station where you can sample pretty much any artists CD's, so I don't really see a need for an argument there. It just seems to me like people jsut throw out another genre name everytime someone posts a band, and most of those bands/people seem to be under the whole hardcore genre. It seems like it is just a way to be cool and diss a band. The same could go for a lot of jazz too, but I wouldn't use three thousand different genres to classify a jazz band. maybe a few like "soft" traditional" or "fusion" but I don't how you don't see someone saying soemthign like "post-traditional jazzcore" completely rediculous.

Excuse me for the jumble of different thoughts, my mind is all over the place tonight, I can't seem to focus tonight, but I think I got most of what I was trying to say out there.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

It's because a good number of those people care a lot about the scene and are wary of outside people coming in (long story/can worms). They may be silly arguements, but it's because the hardcore scene has become huge and massive and parts of it appeal to some people, and some don't. It's mostly scene politics, it can be silly, yes, but it's not the only instance of people have taking music way too seriously.

Either way, if you don't like the genres, just call it ****. Like "That **** is awesome!" or "That sounds like ****".
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    it's branding , nothing to do with music.
  13. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    Yeah, i think its all pretty stupid too. Who comes up with the names anyway?
  14. While I'm not exactly up on the names of all the different genres and subgenres, I have to ask: Do any of you people complaining about all the genre names have a better idea for how to describe different bands? I think one could just constantly say, "they sound like X band, but slightly more melodic," or something to that effect. But then I have to wonder why you wouldn't just think up a name for different bands with similar sounds... Oh, wait, we already have that. Genre. It's a good thing. Embrace it.