1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too many Knobs!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daniel Douglass, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass Banned

Oct 11, 2017
    Right vague question alert!!!

These are the knobs I have to play with, what do I need to put where to get a general decent bass sound?

I know this is a hard on to answer and that I should be playing round with it to find something I like but I just need a starting point.

930BBCBA-F27C-4831-AF64-F7341D4E480F.

2. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I'm all about adding " mids " to an eq, but your Low mids are cranked, bass is a little high as well. I have the exact same amp, my eq has bass flat, low mids 1:00, high mids flat, high's 11:00. You should try everything at 12:00 and see where you are at.

Daniel Douglass likes this.
  3. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Also, is your bass active or passive? That will depend on where you set your gain knob. For example, I have the gain set to 1:00 for my passive Fender Pbass, if it's an active bass, you'll pull back on the gain a bit.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I usually start by setting all EQ knobs to about 12:00 and then move one at a time. As far as effects, read the manual, start with minimal effect and make small changes until you find a result you like.

Be aware that a setting that sounds good in practice by yourself may not work well in a band setting, especially if the bass and guitar start playing in the same tonal area.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass Banned

Oct 11, 2017
    Not to sound like a total amateur but it is an epiphone thunderbird

6. We just had this conversation in another thread a couple of days ago, so it was still fresh.
    Start here. Lots of good info. Look for the Tone Pool. There may be more than one version.
    The Rumble Club can help with lots of stuff.
    Fender Rumble Club | TalkBass.com