1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too many offers???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by teedub, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    It's been a busy couple of months for me, getting back on the steady gigging scene since splitting up with original band of 5 years almost a year ago. Now I seem to have too many calls and too many offers. I've narrowed in it down to a cover band, a heavy original band and a light rock original band, but now I've got an offer to audition for an established country singer! Obviously I'm taking the audition (Monday night, charting some tunes earlier this evening), but I feel a little bad ditching the cover gig. They're not that great, but they're good people, and I've only been playing with them for a short time (3 gigs, 1 rehearsal). I've done it before, but it's not fun when they're good people that are really trying hard. I was filling in for a friend that can fall back in with them, but I think they were becoming quite attached to me.

The country gig guarantees 100+ gigs for 2007, which is awesome, lots of travel, mostly weekends. Hopefully it allows me to keep the original gigs, but I can pare it down to one if need be, but there's friends involved, so I may have to just find a good balance.

I just feel like a very fortunate player right now. I haven't garnered this sort of attention in years, and my wife is very supportive of me. Things just seem to be falling into place, and I just hope I can keep all the projects in check. Lots of songs to learn....

It's not the worst situation, but I've definitely got to find a balance between money and artistic merit. I've also got a steady day job to worry about...

No real problems, as of yet, just putting my thoughts to the forum...:smug:

2. if theres friends involved be honest with them, dont try and juggle. This will cause more damage in the long run when the drummer starts running his mouth about how youre not as dedicated as the rest of the band ect. just focus on one project so you still have time for the family. (my advice)

3. I dig, I dig.

To be more specific:

The original band looks to be quite lucrative and to gig about once a month once we're running full steam.

The light-rock band is the friend, he's very flexible, and the drummer's a full-time player, so HIS schedule is usually the issue. Another 1 gig/month type deal.

I'm fairly confident I can juggle these three gigs, but if any of them suffer I'll re-assess immediately. The last thing I want is angry friends/musicians/bad rep.

4. Go the hard-rock original gig. In the long term, playing with your friends might mess you up (unless they're really understanding musicians, and you don't know that until you're involved with them in a band), and if you have a day job to worry about, I'm assuming that the money isn't the top priority, so the cover band seems a bit redundant.

5. Yeah, the hard-rock original gig will definitely be my primary focus. With the country gig, it's the initial push that will be tough. Learning 50ish songs in a matter of weeks for the first shows. But once we've got the sets nailed, it's just a matter of showing up, groovin' and having fun. The original stuff will require constant attention, no complacent moments at all.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep updating as it goes... :)