Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many projects at once?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jul 12, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Okay, so I've got a fretless Bongo 5 string on the way that will go a long way towards curing my GAS (for a week).

In the meantime, I've been taking care of a couple of nagging issues with my current harem of basses.

So, here (in no particular order) are what I've currently got in the works:

Project 1: Cort Curbow Retro

This is a great bass for little money. The frets have been leveled, so it plays as nice as most basses 5-10 times its price. I've currently got a mirrored pickguard and mirrored truss rod cover on the way for it. And, I'm eventually going to swap out the pickups for a pair of Kent Armstrong lipstick tube pickups. The bass is currently set up with TI Jazz Flats, but I'll be switching it to TI Jazz Rounds when I get the pickguard and TR cover.

[​IMG]

Project 2: US Curbow International Petite

Next up, I'm finally getting my 5 string Curbow refinished. I got an amazing deal on this bass when I bought it from Greg eight years ago, but I've never been a big fan of the finish, or the look of the lacewood top. As my main bass for college and touring days, it has acquired some "character marks" that give me the justification of having it finally taken care of. The Curbow is also no longer the VBass bass, so the two screw holes on top will be filled before the finish is applied. It's been shipped off to Michael Dolan in CA to be refinished with a LPB Metallic top with a Transparent Blue finish over the purpleheart back. In the pic, you can see a wood binding--that will remain after it is refinished. :hyper: When it gets back, I'll be stringing it up with TI Jazz Flats tuned EADGC, which is how I had it for a couple of years. It seems to be the perfect string setup for this bass, and the Bartolini pickups sound great with the 18V EMG preamp and Jazz Flats.

[​IMG]

Project 3: US Curbow 4 string fretless

This is my oldest bass, and one of the first Curbow basses that exist. I've had it since 1989, but it is probably a little older than that. The fretboard is in need of another planing since there is a dip around the 5th fret area. This will be the next project that I start when the first two are done. The controls were changed from active to passive a couple of years ago, and that left me with a dummy knob and a V/V/T setup. When I get it worked on, I'll have the controls changed to a V/V/T/T setup just because I can. When it returns, I'll put some TI Jazz Flats on it so I'll have fretless basses with both rounds, and flats. Besides--since the neck and fretboard are both Brazillian rosewood, I want to make sure the fretboard lasts for years to come...

[​IMG]

Another project involves sending my Boomerang in for the upgrade to Ver 2 software and a refurb/cleaning...

Oh, and the Thunderchicken I want to build with a T-Bird body, Tele headstock/jazz width birdseye neck, and Dark Star pickups...

And, the headless bass I want to build using a gift Hohner and a Moses fretless neck...

Sheesh....anyone else have too many things on their plates right now?

2. In a sense, I do. But it's more along the lines of "what to buy next?". I can get a P bass, or maybe a fretless Jazz, or a Stingray 5er, or maybe just drop a new pickup into my fretless Squier, and maybe I can use a new amp. But I can't afford doing much more than one of them. At least it sounds like you can afford to do everything and it's gonna be really cool in the end.

3. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I keep on coming up with ways to modify my g*****s. I have this down on it's luck natural finished strat, and I'm going to replace the electronics and pups, and rip out the frets. The 21st fret came out already when I was messing with the pickguard, so I thought, "eh, why not?"

I also came up with this cool idea for an automatic pickup switcher for my les paul. Switch one of the knobs to a tone/tone, and have the now free one be the rate, with a push/pull to engage the switching.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a question....fretless Bongo? Did EB give in and start making these? Better check the website.

I'd happily play a fl Bongo, IF I could get one with an ash body, probably not gonna happen, dang.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Fretless Bongos have been on the options sheet since the middle of March, or so. They are available in both unlined, and lined. Heck--BassNw actually had a used fretless Bongo last week. It is believed that it was a NAMM special, or something.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an ash body, though.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

LOL.

7. Can't wait to see that Petite 5 when it's done! But yeah, I hear ya' on the "too many projects/purchases" front....

1) Waiting for my Curbow singlecut 6 to be finished, and trying not to fidget too much about it. That should be finished, uh, "sometime soon".

2) Swapping my Demeter pre for an SWR IOD, just because it's time for a change and I was really tired of having that extra half a rack space unusable. Shipped the Demeter out today, should see the SWR mid-week.

3) Shipped my Turner Electroline out last weekend for a trade plus cash towards a Fodera 4. I've never owned a Fodera, and now I'll have one that would actually not look out of place at my gigs! Should have that in time to put it through its paces at my weekly Thursday jam.

4) Sent off my Sennheiser wireless transmitter for warranty repair. Darn, wireless is addictive, to the degree that I actually went out and rented a wireless unit for last weekend's gig rather than play without it. Hopefully it will be back soon!

5) Sold off the Gravina fretless I had, to help pay for the Curbow fretless I recently picked up.

6) Placed an order for a Sadowsky Metro RV5 in my "perfect Jazz" fretboard/finish combo. Thank goodness that won't be in for a couple months...

7) Eagerly waiting for berlee64's buckeye Curbow Petite to come in so that I can try it out. :D

And later, I'll have the garage sale to pay for it all!
    Mike