Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many simple people out there.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiro, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I dont like playing songs like 7 nation army, hardest button to button and like Pictures by kid rock... I dont know why people like them so much... Its funny cause we get a bigger applause from the more simple songs than the harder songs. Im just venting..grrrrrrrrrr........ too many simple people out there. :spit:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this has what to do with basses?

we'll try OT.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    John's eyes got all fiery when he was moving this, i betcha :D!

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I heard that if you go into the bathroom, say his name 3 times and spin around, you get crushed by a 7 string bass :p

All in good humour,all in good humour

But in response to the actual topic, most people just aren't used to hearing very complicated music. And most of the time, it's the simpler stuff that is a lot more accesible to your audience.

5. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    John Turner is the same name of my band teacher when i was in elementary school in grade 6 and 7. He played the trombone and the trumpet occasionally... Are you the same John Turner? Mr. Turner?

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    If it was a 7-horn trumpet......you bet!!!!!!!

running away for cover......
    mercy please, mercy!!!!!! :bag: ;)

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I used to think like this. To be honest, I think it's because crowds want to hear a song they can hum along to. You can't do that with super complicated stuff. They also want something they can tap their foot to, and you can't do that with a song in 67/3 time.

For an upcoming music event at my school, my band will be playing some originals and some covers. I of course wanted to pick difficult songs, as did my guitarist. Then I realized you just gotta do what the crowd wants. If a three note blink-182 song will get the crowd jumping and havin' a good time, then I'll play it, even though I don't like blink-182. Try to think of it that way: please the crowds at all costs. You can play for yourself at home. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Uh, screw that.

There are songs that are difficult and also classics.

9. Then they should please the crowd then...that argument doesnt make sense, bro.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Exactly. As long as it pleases the crowd, and gets everyone movin' and shakin', the difficulty of the song (or lack thereof) shouldn't matter. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like the songs that feature the bass drum...makes the pavement shake. No musical integrity, but it's a blast to play whole notes on an open B all nite long... :eyebrow:

12. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I think also people generally like covers better than originals since those are songs they're familiar with and can maybe sing along to and stuff. The only danger with playing covers is that if you don't play them perfectly, everyone will know.

And I think part of it depends on the venue too. At your average bar gig, a cover band will probably get more attention than one who does complex originals. Like over the summer, I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Burbis (a local band from northern NJ) play at this bar. I dug them (their music was quite good, but their stage presence was lacking.) The music (instrumental rock) was quite good. I was into it, but most of the people at the bar weren't. Why? Because it was instrumental (people prefer hearing a vocalist sing lyrics- preferably ones they can understand, maybe relate to, and sing along with). And while there was melody and a verse-chorus-verse thing with their music, it probably was too complex for the average patron there. And they played all originals, so since no one knew the songs, there wasn't much of a connection there.

I'm definitely the type of person who'd get his jollies at a Dysrhythmia show...but I'm not the average person. The average person would probably scratch their head at their music.

That's why I love dreams. In my dreams I'm part of a band that plays somewhat complex instrumental music and people dig it.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Remember, more complex doesn't always equal better. Most people like the basic three chord progression and a catchy, easy to sing verse/chorus and that is their idea of good music. Your opinion might differ from theirs, but that is why music stores carry a plethora of music. It is your opinion that those songs are bad; they obviously don't share your opinion if that is what they like to hear.

Also, people will like what they like; the average listener only enjoys his/her genre of music. These people far outway the people who enjoy all forms of music, complex or otherwise.

I like melody; everything from soulful, easy to sing melodies to crazier polyphonic melodies. Bill Withers moves me just as much as Godspeed You! Black Emperor does.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes it does.

I refuse to play a Blink-182 song or Sweet Home Alamaba to please the crowd when I can play Money (PF) instead.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I bet they are far outweighed by simple classics. If I got into a cover band, I would play what the audience requested not classics that I enjoy because of their difficulty, or lack thereof

16. In theory Money should please the crowd all the same as sweet home alabama. So no, it doesn't.

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Theory? When did we become scientists? I certainly do not remeber developing a theory.

I was simply saying that I won't "bend over" for the audience to play a song some like if its a song that annoys me.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    By "annoys", do you mean simple?

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The only intellegent thing I've ever heard my uncle say about music (or really anything), "If everyone in the world was a musician, there would be no crappy music." Which isn't technically true, but it would help a helluvalot.

20. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm sure quite a lot of us here can hum along to Donna Lee :p