1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TOO MUCH BASS!!!??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ingratil, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    Hey guys today i was lowering the action on my yamaha pbass and everything went very well except for one thing. The 4th string sounds WAY to bassie, even if its the same not than on the 3rth string it sounds much more bassie on the 4th string. And that wouldnt be a very big deal but the problem is when i try to slap i put the compression ON on my amp and the first 3 strings sound very well but when i play the 4th string it almost sounds like if it was a muted slap (very percussive) and if i play the 4th string and then any other string while the 4th string is still ringing it sounds completely death and witthout and treble and very low volume.
    I think the compression on my amp blocks the 4th string and since its compressing it also quiets down the other strings right?
    I tried getting the 4th string away from the pickup as much as i could but the problem persists...
    Any idea or fix? THANKS!:bawl:

2. Lighter guage strings perhaps?

3. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    No, i dont think its that because i didnt have this problem before :/

4. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Lower your pickups now. If you haven't already.

5. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Maybe lower the pick-up below that string which I'm assumming is you "E" string.

6. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    No, i already did that, the pickup is as low as it can go :/

7. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    No, i already did that, the pickup is as low as it can go :/ An yeah its the E

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Raise the action on your E string? That or get a lighter gauge E string to keep your action the same without getting too much bassiness.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    isn't there foam under the pickups, remove some of the foam to get the pickup lower...or

1) you have more bass now, compared to what your use to, get use to it
    2) new strings
    3) new pickups

if your pickups cant handle a 105 or even a 110 E string, then the pickups might not be so great. Or the player dont like the deep tone. usually a combination of both.

10. maxiegrant

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Turn your compression off first. You have changed the dynamic range of your instrument. You need to adjust the rest of your rig as well.

And perhaps consider that you have lowered the strings too much. The kind of noise you are describing sounds like it is almost hitting the pickups.

11. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks, guys!!!! i just changed it for an old E string i had around with a lighter gauge and its fixed. Thanks alot =)

12. Ingratil

Ingratil

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks, but yeah its was the gauge it was way to overpowered hahahah =)

13. maxiegrant

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    My understanding of pickups is purely conceptual, meaning I have never built or repaired one. But I am willing to bet that your lighter-gauge E string pulls less hard on that magnet (activating it less enthusiastically) because there is less mass in it.