1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too much bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, May 12, 2006.

1. I never ever thought I would say this in my life but I have too much bottom end! I"m running a SVT Pro III with avatar's 410 neo and avatar 115 with a Kappa pro and tho I get a great tone with the 410 (8 ohm) its only using 300 watts. When I connect the 115
    (8ohm) to get the amp back to 450 watts, the bottom end is so thick its unbearable . What can I do short of changing drivers or cabs to fix my problem?

2. Cut some of your bass Frequencies.

3. When I cut freqs, I loose the tone that I want from the 410.

4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    You may need a parametric eq to solve your problem.

They have the ability to pinpoint a specific frequency and reduce it.

My Yamaha PB-1 bass preamp has one built in. I don't know who else makes them.

5. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Turn ther bass down on the amp.

6. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Excellent suggestion. All kinds of decent ones out there, But Klark and Yamaha spring to mind first.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The idea when combining two cabinets is to get the sum of tone from them both. You can always re-EQ if you just want to use your 4x10. Try cutting some bass when both cabinets are plugged in.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+1 ... what he said ...

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think that is why that Madisa chick got voted off too. Man, that thing was HUGE!

10. May just try another 410 cab. Time to experament:bassist:

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The SVT III Pro is tonally quite flexible and has the next best thing with Graphic EQ @ 33hz, 80hz, and 150hz. It also has a bass EQ control (+/- db 12db @ 50hz) which can be used in addition to the graphic EQ.

Also, make sure the Ultra Low ("LO" switch on the left by the input gain) is not engaged.

Tube gain turned all the way to the right will also give you a cleaner sound which affects the bass region as well.

The SVT III Pro has a tremendous amount of tonal flexibility and I'm sure you can dial out your boom with the controls it has in place already.

12. I was hoping to get a simmilar tone out of the 115 without drastickly changing the tone of the 410.I can adjust the tone with the 115 but it seems like the 410 is just idleing along. Like I said ,I may try adding another 410 to see what it does.

13. you may want to try a 2x10 instead of a 1x15. it will probably givce you little less thundering low end. i know you dont want to change cabs but this is just a suggestion since you said something about another 4x10.

14. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    There is no such thing...........:spit:

This thread is of the Devil...............:help:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    become a guitar player? :D sorry too good to resist.

but lots of great suggestions. if a parametric is out of the question, then like it was mentioned, just turn down the bass knob. another suggestion would be too crank your midrange and/or highs knob. should even out the response, and by turning down the overall volume should make your bandmates happy, too.

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Like I said, you're going about this all wrong. I think that if you explore the sound of both cabinets together without trying to make a 1x15 sound like a 4x10, you'll be more pleased. Start small with EQ changes.

17. Put wheels on the bottom cab, it'll decouple it from the floor and reduce the bass frequencies.

18. I have an avatar 1x15 and find it pretty boomy. Definitely not a tight cab (unless you eq the boom out). I think you need to look at a different cab for your bottom...

19. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    ***when two amount of force is applied on the same direction, the resultant force would be the sum of each force applied**** -milo's law of physics.... wehehehehe

I think it's just the eq.... Ive had same prob first week I got my 3 cabs and use it in my gigs.. I am running my 411 and 115 on one amp, and the 211 on the other.. I noticed that when I just get my eq flat on my guitar and my amp, too much lows are being produced by my 115. So I have a thought about it, then I realize that it's just it's a matter of a certain frequency(low) that's having a higher amplitude than other frequencies that's why I'm getting that too much bass.

You said that when you just use your 4x10, you get the tone you want.. and that's because you like the amplitude balance of the frequencies that you have there(tone)...
    But when you use it with the 115, you get too much bass.... the reason for this is that because the 115 is producing a certain frequency that 410 was already producing, and when more driver is producing the same freq at the same time and phase, as a result would have a higher amplitude(loudness) of that frequency. So if you could just reduce the low freqs on either your amp or guitar, you should be able to get the same balance of all freq amplitudes that you want when you are just using the 410.... What I suggest is to start by cutting low freqs on your bass EQ first, IMO it's more efficient, and would be much faster to have tone change(more headroom)..

It's best if you have graphic eq. but if not I guess you would need to play and experiment on the tone knobs much longer to get the tone you want.

20. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Cut the really deep lows and dial some midrange in to that rig. Not too much though otherwise it might sound harsh.