1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too much buzzing and clicking on my bass. Will truss rod adjustment remove that clanky/sloppy sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HazyMan, Sep 16, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I am interested in tapewound strings and i want to kinda simulate that fretless bass sound. I don't want it to sound like a fretless, just want to have a similar atmosphere. However one thing that is preventing that is the sloppy clicky sound that i get when i play. The string action is very low, so i suppose that bring it the strings higher would fix that issue, as my old bass' string action is very high and doesn't sound clicky or sloppy at all. Should i adjust my bass' truss rod to get rid of that annoying sound?

2. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    are you sure the sound isn't from loose saddle parts or loose tuners?

3. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    well, actually no. how can i check those out and see if they are fine or not?

4. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    The truss rod is not used to adjust the action, just set the correct relief and then leave it alone.
    If you want to increase your action, the bridge is where you need to work at.

If you need help adjusting your bass, this thread contains a lot of useful info:
    ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Try cutting the treble on your amp and also playing with a softer touch. Adding some foam under the strings next to the bridge will help too.

Which bass and amp do you use?

You need this for gigging?

St_G likes this.
  6. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    1. Turning down treble will not make much of a difference. The fundamentals of that sloppy sound will still be kinda audible.
    2. I am playing softly but that doesn't change much. I have to barely even pluck the string to get a soft smooth sound.
    3. I don't want to add foam because that would make it sound like palm muting and i'm not going for that at all.
    4. My bass is an Ibanez SR500 currently strung with roundwounds and my amplifier is a crappy Behringer amp but i mainly plug my bass onto my computer on Cubase.

7. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    can you either make sure everything is tight enough by gently using a tool to tighten them or put your ear near the tuners, strike a note hard enough to buzz, then do the same at the bridge?

btw, i had an SR500, and it didn't have this problem.

8. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Well i guess mine's got these issues due to it being purchased through eBay and i used to take all of the strings off and restring instead of removing and restringing one by one.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Use your other bass.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  10. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    so, you're telling me to dump my 600 euro ibanez bass for a budget bass that is no longer in a good condition? no, thanks.

db59 and Lobster11 like this.
  11. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've bought a number of basses used, including my SR500, with no problems. i also used to remove all my strings when i did restringing, also with no issues. in fact, i removed all the string before restringing for over 10 years with no adverse effects.

did you get a chance to check the tuners and make sure they're tight? i've had a couple basses where the tuners came loose, and after tightening the up, the rattling went away.

12. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Well i didn't yet. You said that i should get my ear close to each tuner and pluck a string hard to the point where it makes noise. how will that indicate the tuner being loose?

13. Raise the bridge up.. There is plenty of online information for bass setups.. Learn how to do a full setup on your bass,TrussRod adjustment-Bridge Height-Pickup Height-Intonation,then when you change to different strings,concentrate on those tasks in that order... If that doesn's fix your problem then it's a trip to a Guitar Tech..:thumbsup:

St_G, El-Bob, quickfix and 1 other person like this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Before you go making a bunch of changes to your setup, try lightening up with your right hand until you quit making all the noise you don’t want. Once you find that spot, practice playing that way. I’ve been doing it for a while now and i can play all but the fastest stuff with a lighter touch.

quickfix likes this.
  15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Don’t fix it and play Primus tunes. :)

Aqualung60 and 4dog like this.
  16. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    it requires an EXTREMELY light touch in order not to buzz. It's not that i play hard, trying to have a more light touch will not help. it will only make my sound and technique worse, because i'd have to practice 24/7 barely plucking the strings at all.

17. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    higher tension strings maybe??

18. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    heavier gauge? if so, then that doesn't make a huge difference. i've tried strings of different gauges

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The solution for me was a combination of proper setup (the easy part to remove the buzzing), improved technique and right hand control (the harder part to stop the clicking).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    St_G and scuzzy like this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    How many isolated bass tracks have you listened to from famous bassists? A lot of them will also sound clanky and such. What style of music are you playing?

It's a combo of low action (bridge saddles) and technique (practice).

Gabor-the-HUN likes this.