Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too much choice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My flatmate asked me to drop into the supermarket on the way home from work and "Buy some Milk". She made it sound so simple. I was confronted with a "Milk Aisle" - Skim milk, Hi-White milk, Lo-White milk, Lo Fat milk, Fat free Skmilk, Soy milk, flavoured milk, pasturised milk, diluted milk, de-milked milk. Everything except plain old fashioned MILK! And of course I got the wrong one.................

While I was there I remembered I was almost out of toothpaste. Same story. It took half an hour to get 2 items, and I had a headache by the time I left the store.

Is it just me or does choice sometimes complicate the simples things? Of course I'm not advocating any form of "one product only" philosophy, but is too much choice a bad thing? Or do we as consumers bring it apon ourselves?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Did you listen to MMM "The Cage" this morning? ;)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    hi-white? Lo white? Never heard of that.

brad cook

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He's onto me :) But I swear it's happened to me before and has been bugging me.

And No, swapping milk with basses doesn't work when you live in Australia. We don't have the array of choice you Americans do. Maybe that's a good thing.

5. 1. No, it's not you. I concur and empathize.

2. It's brought on by consumers and businesses. Mostly the latter and we, the idiot masses, buy into and encourage it.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's just you. I walk in, grad the milk (or whatever, I hate milk) and get out. Takes me only as long as the walk and to checkout.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    + 0.5?

(I like milk)

8. this thread is communist and unamerican.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    pfffttt........ Go home!

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Whoa, Senator McCarthy! So you really aren't dead?

Root 'em out, Joe!

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    canopener, eh?

What is that? Some sort of Communist slang? huh? is it?

I took 11th grade English over summer school to get ahead... and We watched/read The Crucible and read some stuff on the similarities between the crucible and the mcarthy commie hunt. interesting stuff.

12. i appreciate that i can buy four different varieties of one brand of soy milk even in little meridian, MS (approximately 45,000 people in the entire county). plain silk is the way forward, but sometimes i feel like chocolate. unlike actual milk, the chocolate silk is about as good for you as the plain.

choice is important for me, because i believe in quality. when there is a difference and i care about it, i want to be able to buy it if i so choose. for those who don't care about the differences in toothbrushes, it can get very difficult or annoying to just choose one when they all cost the same.

but i'd rather have the choices than be saddled with what most people buy. as a vegetarian who doesn't eat hamburger helper, eating what most people eat is a far worse option. and trust me that corporations would rather there be a marketplace with fewer options. it's easier to make a lot of one widget than a few of several different widgets.

robb.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Funny, SMASH - I thought the very same thing when I saw the title of this thread. I was thinking, "Isn't this really an On-Topic/Basses thread ?"

But, like anything else in a free market, I think we may be heading to a market shake-out in basses. But, as consumers, that's probably a good thing for us. Builders/luthiers like a "piece of our pie" because, as Ned Steinberger observed, bassists tend to have just a few, rather unique, instruments they have put all their bucks into, (John Turner's and Jeff Rader's bass museums being among the clear exceptions :D ), instead of being like guitarists who want a whole arsenal of instruments that are mostly copies of pre-existing instruments.

I say - brang it on!!!!

But it does seem like bass amplification has relatively few choices, especially when you crack open a catalog and see the number of guitar amps using different technologies as opposed to bass amp offerings.

14. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Read "Small is Beautiful" by E.F. Shumacher. He talks about this, consumerism, modern economics, etc.

Makes you wonder if you really need that Aguilar DB359 and Bergantino cabs, or if you should just be happy with your Yorkville combo for now...

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Tartar-control-cool-mint-gel-baking-soda fliptop.

That is copyrighted. BTW.

16. Does it come with coil taps?

17. I must have missed something...coil taps?? :confused:

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No, but it's got dancing taps.

:help:

Option anxiety.

Live it!

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

OH CRIPES!!! Now Bass Central has some new bass we all have to have!!!! :help:

20. I would have bought a pint of each kind of milk. :D