Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too much jam...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Convectuoso, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Well my band has been going for almost half a year and haven't accomplished anything really. Except for a few bit and pieces.

What our problem is, is: that we set up, warm up, jam for a couple of minutes, jam some more, then a bit more, oh then again more jamming.....You get my point :rolleyes:

Now when I want to get the rest of the bands attention so we can focus on writing some music. They just keep playing. Then when they finally stop I go to talk and they just go on playing. :(

So is there anyways of getting band members to co-operate and make actual music?

Thanks in advance :)

2. My advice would be to schedule a band meeting where you guys can plan things in advance. Discuss:

Where you want to be as a band in three months
    What it will take to get you there
    What you will need to acheive your goals
    How to put into practice these needs.

Have someone write all this down so you can all have a clear picture of your duties for the next part of your progress.

Arrange your rehearsal time so that there is a 5-10 minute jam to warm up, then have a very clear idea on how the rest of the time will be spent.

Having aimless rehearsals always leads to this "jamming out" situation. Have something to rehearse - choose a song or two to learn each time, organise set lists and practice their flow, anything structured and organised will help keep you focussed.

At the end of the rehearsal, play something that's purely for fun, to end on a lighter note. Each member of the band should approach the rehearsal as a time for work - work on your band.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks man. Appreciate it. I'll have a talk to the band tomorrow because we practice two times a week.

I'm thinking at first break we discuss what to do at band practise lunch time comes and we know what we are doing.

Well thanks again and we'll see how it goes. ;)

4. Nah worries, mate. Let me know how it goes.

I had a similar problem in my first band and we ended up splitting up. Over the years, I have worked with all sorts of muso's and learned heaps from all of them. The discipline of band rehearsal is so important! I set the tone right at the start with my current band, and now we actually challenge each other to come out more productive with each session.

Needless to say, we have regular work, are respected in the scene for our professionalism and are actually getting somewhere. Having a good, solid approach to how you want your band to be will reflect in everything you guys do!

Again, let me know how you go!!

5. Update:

Well we had another band practice today and I must say it went alot better than yesterday. I talked to them about how we need to get our s/hite together and how the structure of our practice.

We made basically one song in one hour. (All we get is one hour :( )
    So a much better improvement I must say.

Thanks again dude, I'll see how it goes from here on in. :)

6. hahahahahahahah!!!! i tried this with my band and got nothing but stupid answers that would lead to the demise of the band!!

i will agree with this: write a riff that has structure and lay it down, and you'll head somewhere quick.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

We actually take what we get from jamming and turn them into original songs.

8. We do that most the tim as well but when it is just mindless jamming with everyone just doing their own thing it just gets on your nerves. :crying:

9. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Excellent reply from Pete! Like it or not, a working band DOES have to work sometimes (dammit). ;)

Our band combines Pete's organization with Jazzin's Kharmic path. We will find a good riff or jam and work out new songs based on them. As Pete noted, you really have to keep a good group focus when working this way. We keep a couple of big dry erase boards in the studio. As we are working our way through material, we will note the structures on the boards and then play through them several times to be sure we like the instrumental structure. Our singer will then adds permanent vocals to this. As often as not, our new songs will come from a single riff from the bass or guitar (usually turning into the verse phrases), and then we'll add choruses and bridges to it.

I've been in your situation before (the band can't seem to get past the jamming part of practice). In some of those situations, as much as I liked jamming with these dudes, we simply couldn't get everyone to focus enough to become a good working band. As opposed to dropping the project altogether, I would hang out one or two night a week with them for fun and loose jams and look for another "working band" situation to help me progress professionally. If you have the extra time to spare to two bands (or more), this may be an option. I had a drummer many years ago that was in three "semi-working bands" simultaneously! He was a drummer in ours, bass in another, and guitarist in the third. This worked out really well for him as it kept him fresh and energized (none of the bands gigged often, so scheduling was rarely an issue). In a couple of cases, I've actually had two of my own bands play on gigs together (I opened for myself :) ). Heckuva way to make a little better cut of the proceeds that evening!!

10. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Haha, our practices over the course of a few months turned from something enjoyable to just a noisey headachey mess... There was so much going on inbetween songs that you couldn't even tell where one song ended the other one started... Until one day, I just shouted "SHUT UP!" Ok, so I admit I freaked out a bit.. But it worked! The band all stopped playing, and there was a blissfull silence, that kind of flowed into the ears and I swear I could even feel it's cold refreshing surface! Since then we keep doodling down to a minimum, and inbetween songs we all turn the volume down on our instruments... We can now discuss what effect we're looking for with a song etc, and now hopefully we'll be able to start gigging with our own material :hyper:

11. lol that worked for a day or two, and then I became the "@SSHOLE who noone was ever good enough for".