1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too much lows from a Sadowsky 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi all,

Do you have experience with too much lows coming out from your Sadowsky 24 ?

A friend who's interested in buying mine is saying that the amp and recording rig gets quickly saturated by the lows no matter what are the preamp setting and even in passive mode.

I couldn't check it first hand but he's saying that the gain is "low" on his amp and that the amp EQ is flat.

Do you have similar experiences? it never happened to me while I owned it.

Tx, Paolo

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Sounds like your friend has some serious 'user error' issues:smug:

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Or a desire not to use/buy/play the bass in question. :eyebrow:

BTW, no pics, no 24-fret NYC.

Ps. Be sure he understands the pre is boost only.

4. Good advice above...on all counts. :D

Seriously - have your friend lower the volume on the bass (and the low boost), and then set the amp as he'd like it. In my experience (which, granted, is only with Metro instruments) the output is hot compared to other active basses, and the folks @ Sadowsky will tell you (well, at least they've told me) to be careful with the volume knob on the bass.

5. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    you never have too much lows, man!!!!

6. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I never heard this before! :confused:

Roger

7. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I've never heard this from anyone describing a Sadowsky, ever. Their tone is utterly perfect, from my experiences with them (which aren't many, I might add).

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Lows coming from a bass? What will they think of next.

9. Indigo_blues

Indigo_blues

May 26, 2008
    Singapore
    Maybe he thinks the bass boost pot is boost/cut and sets it in the middle of the pot rotation? Tell him to rotate it fully anti-clockwise.

10. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    If Mr. Sadowsky himself hasn't heard of it, then there is something way out of place here lol.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    He may also have the pan pot set on the neck pickup as its the reverse of what most basses have (pan towards the neck for the bridge pickup an pan towards the bridge for the neck pickup). If he had the bass control set in the middle (thinkign it was boost cut) and the pan control set fully to the bridge (thinking it was the bridge pickup) you would get a lot more lows than you were bargaining for.

12. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    LOL..........:rollno:

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That's the first thing I thought of, but he states it 'happens in active and passive mode'. Strange indeed:smug:

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Sounds like your friend might not be quite ready for a Sadowsky.

15. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    New, from Sadowski: The mid & treble guitar! ha ha ha. Yeah. There's gotta' be some sort of user error going on...something is getting boosted in the chain.

16. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks all, I spoke with him again, he did understand that the preamp is boost only, nevertheless still not happy.

His complain is actually that the Mids are "hidden" behind the lows (e.g. he'd like to have more mids without boosting the lows), so as he tries to increase mids, way too low come with it. Well, that could be possible because of the 2 bands onboard EQ, so I suggested him to balance the rest of the EQ through his amp, which he's testing today... let's see. In my hands the bass played always well and I was never disappointing while recording or gigging...and I didn't have to boost much the mids on the amp to be heard.

Re: picture... here you have one

[​IMG]

17. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    a bassist saying too many lows..... hell i've never heard of that

18. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    By the way, mine is a Metro, not a NYC....

19. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    The way to get the most mids is to have the bass and treble flat.
    He should start there and adjust his amp accordingly.

He will probably be happier with the Big Singles in the soapbar housing, but they won't have as much highs and will not hum cancel.

Roger

20. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Fixed.