1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too much music... not good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phunky, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I am wondering if it's possible to become addicted to music? seriously, i can't be without it! i always have it playing on my computer, or i'll just start whisteling or tapping my fingers out of nerviosity.. and i always have some musical riff going on in my head..

does anyone know what the doctors say about this?

thankfully //Phunky

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think sometimes you need silence to be able to write your own music. Otherwise, you'll start to see that what your writing sounds like someone else. Granted, there are times that you can draw influence from other bands, but sometimes you really need to hear your own music.

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Your answer lies here, Grasshopper:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000009SY/102-1504471-1236952?v=glance&n=5174

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    This is only a bad thing if you're doing something besides music which requires concentration.

When I chopped the tip of my finger off at work with a table saw, I was thinking about music. When I chopped into the top of my hand with a chopsaw a couple of months later, I was thinking about music. Chances are, many of the errors I made and injuries I sustained as an electrician (changed jobs after the hand incident) were made while thinking about music, or music-related things, like bass tone, setup, etc.

My solution was to put more of the music in my head onto my computer, sort leaking the music out of my head onto a hard drive. Since I've started doing that, my workplace productivity has skyrocketed, and I've gone months at a time without an accident more major than cutting myself with a razor knife.

My fingers still fidget like I'm playing a bass, though :)

5. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    thanks. got any more info?

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    there are tons of worse addictions, my friend ;)

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I get in trouble at work over that, sometimes. I hate to work, or do anything, really, without music.

I always want to go practice at lunchtime, and would rather go to a jam, than a happy hour.

I get caught singing under my breath at work, and get told to stop. I didn't realize I started, most of the time. Sorry for the disturbance...I'm bleeding music. :-}

Cherie

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    What fascist hell do you work in that you can't hum a tune while working? Let them know that dwarves told you to whistle while you work, and that you're siding with those seven dwaves...

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Listen to 4:33 by Cage... great peace. :D Try it; there are many great sounds in silence, especially if you are in the woods at night.

I found myself hearing music in many things even as a child. For instance train rides, train somewhat became music for me same with driving in the rain the sound of wipers or just around nature. Its weird but I really do find and hear music in silence.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    good point. When would there not be music?

11. I imagine there isn't music in outer space...or is there? Im' talking about...just outside...no atmoshpere.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Haha, i'm the same. Pisses my girlfriend and people at school right off. If i'm not listening to music, i'm air drumming to things going on in my head, or slapping bass lines on my leg etc..

Fun times.

13. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Because there is no air in space, there is no medium for sound waves to travel in. However, there is plasma and there are waves, similar to sound waves that traves in plasma. They can be recorded with special microscopes that resemble radio antenas. NASA has recorded a lot of sounds in space. I actually saw the Kronos Quartet perform a piece writen around samples provided by NASA. Very cool, and with a motion picture celestial backdrop, it was one of the top 5 overall performances I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Pontz

14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Doctor says read post #4 and stay away from the saw! Oh, and rock on! :hyper: :bassist: