Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too much power for my avatar ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Feb 26, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I just picked up a fender bassman 300 all tube head. It is really LOUD! My current set up is running the head direct into an avatar b115h cab. Now I know that tube watts are louder than what they state, but how far can I push this cab? It is one of the newer avatar cabs with an eminence speaker rated at 600 watts. Can I still blow the speaker? Thanks!

:bassist:

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Is that 600 RMS or max?

If its RMS you should be cool as long as you odnt push the amp into serious deistortion. To tell you the truth, you'll need more than one 15 to relaly take advantage of how much power that head can put out.

Peace
    Nick

3. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Its rated 600 watts RMS. I want to add on to it eventually, but for now it has to do. Probably throw on a 210 on top sometime. I just didn't want to mess up the speaker by playing too loud.

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't sweat it. The Avatar should be able to take the power without any problems.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, Id agree. Just be careful not to overdrive the amp too hard.

Peace
    Nick

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you'll be fine.

i've hit my 400 watt rated avatar 112 with 750 watts, and it hasn't flinched yet.

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks! I just didn't want to hassle with a blown speaker. Appreciate the help. The avatar cab sounds really great too.