Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too much power??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Hey, I plan on ultimately getting an Ampeg 410 HE and a 210 HE powered by the new SVT 6 pro. I believe this amp is rated about 800 watts at 8 ohms. I was thinking about getting the 210 first, so would using the 6 pro with just the 210 be a bad idea? Would I be sending too much power to the 210?

2. Not if you're careful. I'm running 900 watts into an Eden 2x10 and I haven't cooked it yet.

There's no such thing as too much power, just too few speakers. :cool:

3. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    as long as you dont put the poweramp all the way up, you should be fine. Im using a 920 watt poweramp into a mesa 115 rated for 400, as long as i dont turn the poweramp to +4/10 it will be fine.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    However, as Bob Lee explained in other thread, not turning the power amp all the way up doesn't necessarily keep the amp from putting out full power.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Lot of truth in that......

The 210HE is a 200W cabinet......with 58 Hz "nominal", 35 Hz "useful" response listed.

You are pushing the "usual" ratio of speaker to amp power. You will, with a 210 probably be tempted to boost low end to get more oomph, and that with 2 10s is a potential bad combination.

Just depends on how far you end up pushing matters. See also this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174902